I'm new and don't know much - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I'm new and don't know much

Hello everyone,my name is Danny and I'm from new jersey .Im 42 and have always dreamed of having an older impala.so after me and the wife saved some money over time we were able to pick up a 62 ,2 door coupe.283 power glide.its laurel green with green interior.it was resprayed over 7 years ago.The car is solid with just a little plastic in the usual spots.After having the car for a few days and doing some inspections and trying to get to know the car a little ,i am starting to feel overwhelmed because I'm no mechanic by any means and feel that i maybe got in over my head.i see lots of issues and now I'm not able to enjoy the car because i think of all the work it needs with not much experience.Its leaking tranny fluid and motor oil.elecrical wires under the dash are a mess.i believe i need an ignition switch because sometimes it fires and sometimes not.Not sure if its the starter.and it goes on and on.So my plan is to register it tomm morning and get it to a shop down the road and put it on a lift and have the mechanic give me some advice.(He's a family friend for a long time).So anyway thanks for listening and don't mind all the stupid questions coming from me DannyL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3277.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	13170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3276.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	13178  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 04:33 PM

Welcome, Danny.

First up, don't get overwhelmed. Don't think EVERYTHING has to be fixed immediately. This will lead to frustration. Getting it up in the air is a good start. Make a list with your buddy.
1. What does it need to run?
2. What does it need to be safe?
3. What does it need to stop leaking?
4. What does it need to be nice?

Take care of #1 and #2 at the same time. Get it running, go through the brakes/lines/suspension/steering. You don't have to do it all at once. Pick small jobs. Front brakes. Brake hoses. Spark plugs. Wires. Points. Carb. Etc etc. Just keep at it. Leaks are no big deal on an old car. Just make sure the oil in the trans and engine stays full. However, once you have 1 and 2 done, your leaks will probably be pretty easy to deal with. The trans only leaks from a few spots, and same with the engine. Find the leak source, and you'll be able to understand how to deal with it. Most you can take care of in your driveway.

With each thing you check off the list, you'll be that much closer to meeting your end goal.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Hey jay thanks for the hope i will keep you posted and report back

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 06:32 PM

I don't know much, I ask questions here, use google a lot, I'm getting by. That's a nice ride man, you'll be fine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:05 PM

Welcome to the Team Danny!

I would suggest shopping the web for a set of old Motor's or Chilton's repair manuals. They where written for the gas money working out of the corner gas station versus the dealership mechanic who was using the factory shop manuals. the difference is the shop manuals said R&R the defective part. Chilton's or Motor's will tell you how to remove and replace the part and use photos or line drawings to illustrate the procedure (the line mechanic at the dealership was already expected to know how to remove and replace any part in the car if wanted to keep his job).

When it comes to tools buy quality tools, not made in China. Old retired mechanics tools are coming up more frequently in estate sales and some Snap-On or Matco made tools (even the early; which is to say old Craftsman tools, which where made by New Britain Tool and Die which still makes quality tools sold at NAPA) are a better buy used. They never wear out because they are guaranteed for life. Craftsman has the advantage here because you don't have to chase down a Sears store the way you do with a Snap-On truck to exchange a broken or worn out hand tool.

Now with a set of hand tools and armed with the diagnosis pages in the repair manual you can rest assured that you have a good start to keeping this car in your family long enough to take your grand kids for a ride (assumes that gasoline still exists in the future).

Any questions just ask. Many here are retired or current line mechanics specializing in Chevy motor cars. I don't work on these old beasts any more due to failing health (aka old age), but after fifty plus years of hot rodding Chevys I still remember how to keep them running, and can help with guessing as to what is actually wrong and in need of repair or adjustment.

Big Dave
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 08:31 PM
BA.

Looks like a nice ride! Welcome aboard!

I use the 'make a list and prioritize' method also. Then, Divide and Conquer. Works every time.
Wipe down those oily area's and go for a short drive then get right back under it, the usual culprits are simple valve cover and trans. pan gaskets - very easy and cheap to replace. Do not over-tighten!

Electrical stuff is a little more tricky but like Dave said, get those books and look in this forum / site for the electrical schematic. Use a multi-meter once or twice and we'll all get you right through any electrical gremlins.

I always like to refer to the axiom - Surely I'm not the only one this has happened to - then I go Googling or asking online when needed.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:53 PM

Welcome,

The '62 hard top is a great body style. You chose wisely..as other have said, don't lose the excitement you had when you purchased the car. Get it safe to drive and enjoy for now. It is a far better looking car than many others have.

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 06:33 AM

In my opinion these old cars are a lot easier to work on than the new ones. That is a good looking car.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:11 AM

Welcome to the site.

Real nice car.

Had one just like it, but just a different color.

I also agree, these cars are a whole lot easier to work on than the new ones.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:02 PM

Yes, these cars are fairly easy to work on, but it does help to have someone, like your mechanic friend, to give you advice. Some of the stuff that your are unsure of, just pay him to do it at the shop. It will probably cost less than you think.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:11 PM

Welcome Danny. Lots of well informed and experienced here.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

hey guys thanks for all the encouragement.just an update,i got my plates today and put them on and me and my dad went for our first cruise.it was a time i will never forget.The look on his face was priceless.He was so happy.We took a ride to harbor freight and i got a 3 ton jack.I couldn't wait to get underneath.I was able to see some of the leak spots.i also picked up a meter.i just wanted to say thanks again for everyone who welcomed me here.Today with my dad was a great day.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 06:34 AM

Cruise on brother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page