Hello from Maryland - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Maryland

Thanks for letting me in. Here's a picture of my 63 survivor. Just a stock 283 car with pwr steering and auto. Numbers matching....

Latest updates have been rebuilding the carb. & converting the alternator to internal regulator. Also converted point ignition to Pertronix.

Other than that, the car doesn't need much. Debating on whether to convert the brake MS to dual bowl or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1963impala4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	13466  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 05:03 PM

Garage
Nice 63

Tell us more about the car, how long you have had it, what you plan to do with it. Any other pictures? How's the interior?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Welcome to the Team Steve!

I love a numbers matching car that was built before numbers matching was introduced for all cars in 1968. From 1962-'67 only "High Performance engines" (those factory rated at 300 or more horsepower except for the 290 horse 302 Z/28 motor) were marked with a partial VIN. Those are the numbers most regard as the numbers that match, to prove their "born with" status of a rare optioned engine.

With the 283 from your time frame it can be proven original to your car (numbers matching) only by the date codes GM used for quality control.

Every cast part on your car (block, heads, intake, water pump, distributor, bell housing tranny case, etc.) has a part number (casting number, not necessarily the Chevrolet part number) date and occasionally the time of day the part was cast marked on the part. It is considered a numbers matching if it is within seven to ten days of the cars build date (posted on the build sheet which was supposed to be thrown in the trash after the car was built). There is also a build date that is limited to the week of the month on your car's trim tag. But that adds another possible seven days to the usual seven to ten day limit stretching out how closely your car is numbers matching.

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 AM

Welcome

Get her running good and come on down to the big Ocean City, MD cruise and show.

https://www.specialeventpro.com/cruisin-ocean-city

Will
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

So far I've checked the engine block numbers, alternator, distributor, carb & intake numbers, powerglide case numbers, and even the back of the dash clock. They all fall within 7 days of one in other.

One thing that is strange, is that there is no Trim Tag on the firewall. There is no holes where one would have been attached. But, there are 2 indentations on the top left hand side, to the left of the wiper motor, that indicate where the tag would have been installed. I've Googled pictures of the location for this.

Any thoughts on that? I know that I can get a repro one made though.

I haven't checked the rear yet, but was told by the previous PO that is was also original to the car. Car has 77,553 original miles on the odometer.

The only thing that isn't original on the engine that I see are the stupid chrome valve covers that that were but on way back when. I'm looking for a pair of early script covers for this.

As far as the interior, the seat inserts have had new cloth installed, but the vinyl surrounding them are original. The door panels, dash pad and all dash components are original.

I'm not too sure if the carpet has been change or not as it is in really nice shape. Headliner is also original as well as all the bright work on the car.

The door and trunk weatherstripping has been replaced.

One more thing. all the floors, trunk etc, all are original and solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1963impala13.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	13482   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963impala10.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	13490   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963impala8.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	13498   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963impala9.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	13506   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963impala11.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	13514  

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

oh, and I had to replace the heater core. The engine picture doesn't show the newly installed alternator. I did keep the original....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM

Looking good enjoy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM

I would definitely consider that one "Numbers Matching!" Congratulations unmolested motors are rare in a car this old. Many motors died a natural death, and were replaced by more recent engines.

I paid the bills for my seven car garage by yanking worn out SBC motors out of used cars and replacing them with ones I had built for twenty or so years. A very profitable business, but not very rewarding which is why I eventually hired mechanics to preform that work while I concentrated on just engine building.

Big Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 PM

Welcome Steve!! PM me and we can meet up! I am in Forest Hill near the old Belair roller rink!
Bob

Bob
1966 Impala convertible
1966 Caprice 4 door HT
1966 Biscayne 2dr 427/390 3 spd m/t
1981 Corvette
1996 Impala SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page