68 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

68 Impala

Gday,just bought a 68 2 door convertible Impala,1st time owner,can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove rear seats to get to the hyd cylinder hose that is leaking?cheers from down under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:31 AM

First remove the seat bottom by pushing back, as you are holding seat bottom back, pull up. They can be difficult but the key is to push back as far as you can.
The seat back is held in by 2 bolts located around the seat belt anchors. After they are removed, pull up, you may have to wiggle the seat a bit but you will get it. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:32 AM

Garage
Welcome! I know on my '65 you have to push the bottom of the seat towards the rear then it pops up and can be removed. From there you can bend back some metal tabs to remove the back.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:42 AM

Welcome to the Team Andy!

You have to push hard enough to deform (as opposed to permanently bend) the steel wire rod frame of the seat out of a latch that is welded to the floor pan.

The seat frame with the padding foam and seat covers removed looks similar to this:

http://www.southeastchevyparts.com/a...seatsample.jpg

The floor latch or hook that holds the seat in place looks similar to this:

http://www.autopartsdb.net/assets/im...g/1/152754.JPG

This is a reproduction part that you weld back in place of the one that rusted away or was thrown away when you replaced the rear floor pans.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

68 Impala ragtop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Andy!

You have to push hard enough to deform (as opposed to permanently bend) the steel wire rod frame of the seat out of a latch that is welded to the floor pan.

The seat frame with the padding foam and seat covers removed looks similar to this:

http://www.southeastchevyparts.com/a...seatsample.jpg

The floor latch or hook that holds the seat in place looks similar to this:

http://www.autopartsdb.net/assets/im...g/1/152754.JPG

This is a reproduction part that you weld back in place of the one that rusted away or was thrown away when you replaced the rear floor pans.

Big Dave
Thanks for that BD,i got it out no problems.Onto my next drama,i found the problem with my hydraulics,a broken feed line which i have repaired.after fixing that i filled the pump reservoir with oil and tried to operate the top,it moved a bit then the pump stops working,is there an overtemp cut out on the electric motor?after a few minutes it works again then the top moves a bit more,albeit very slowly.Is there a method for filling and bleeding the pump?or is my pump on the way out?it just seems to work for a bit then stop!is there an over temp sensor problem?any help would be appreciated,thanks,Andy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 06:17 PM
BA.

Welcome to the site Aussie, a convertible Imp is quite literally tons of fun.
I'm not personally aware of an over-temp sensor but with that leak, you probably do have air in the line.
I believe I recall reading that when refilling the resavoir that the top specifically needed to be either up or down. Makes sense right? Wish I could remember which it was! lol. You may find it in older threads here or someone will chime in with that info.

There's plenty of threads on this topic and the usage of transmission fluid or brake fluid in the system. I had a new pump and used transmission fluid.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:59 AM

You are not supposed to run the top for over 20 seconds at least that was in the instructions when I put a new pump in my GTO. Run the pump for the 20 seconds refill pump with the cap off. Repeat many times until the top is working normally. I probably spent 45 minutes doing this procedure before all was good. Let the car run as well as those pumps do take some power.To save time put the wife in the trunk to refill the pump while you push the button. She should use her turkey baster to refill the fluid. Unfortunately this was not an option for me according to the wife.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks mate,iv'e refilled the pump many times by force feeding it with a sarynge,but i still seem to have air bubbles in the line,when you say with the cap off,what do you mean?is there something i'm missing?mine only has a rubber grommett to fill through and a piece of 1/4" hose fits into it snugly,and fill it with the top down or up,i'm doing with it down at the mo.And the put the "wife in the trunk cracked" me up,good stuff.Reminds me of a joke,If you want to see who loves you more between you wife and your dog?.......Lock them both in the boot (trunk) for 3 hrs and then see who is the happiest to see you when you open it........thanks for ya help.Cheers,Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page