Replace Heater Core on 65 Impala w/ac - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Replace Heater Core on 65 Impala w/ac

What is the process to remove the heater core on a 1965 Chevy Impala with air conditioning? Do I have to take out the dash or should I remove the a/c unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Welcome to the Team John!

This will be one of many parts you will have to replace most likely. I recommend attempting to find an Assembly manual to look at ther exploded view diagram showing all of the parts and glue or gasket material needed. Another source is the Fisher Body Service manual as it covers Air Conditioning in a separate chapter, or even an old Chilton's or Motor's Service repair manual purchased on line.

One advantage of buying a Chilton's or Motor's Service repair manual is that they written for the amateur mechanic versus the trained service tech that the factory books are written to provide a reference to.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 AM

Welcome to the forum, John...

I have no direct experience with that year a/c, but I don't think you need to remove the dash, although at times it may seem easier...
I start any heater core job with removing the glove box liner and tagging the cables, hoses, plenums and electrical connections with easy release tape to identify where they go before removing them.
There are, typically, only 6-7 fasteners holding the inside core box to the firewall. Most are nuts on the engine side that need to be located. Once you have all the periphery stuff out of the way, you will have a better view of the housing and can see the large rivet like heads of the studs going thru the firewall to indicate where to look for the nuts. There may be hex head screws on the inside for the a/c application too. On Chevelles, the housing also attaches to the right kick panel but here is where I don't know about the full size car. Other members have parted these cars out and will be able to give a better description, but this will get you started...

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:31 AM

I don't know what they used back in 1965 but on my '85 the factory used a sticky tar like watertight seal that I used as a template to cut a flat sheet of aluminum. When I reused it didn't seal very well and the top of my HEATER DELETE plate leaked. You might want to buy a replacement gasket to seal yours once it comes off. (my car was a fair weather car and the only reason I found it is I washed the car once after I got the motor installed back in place).

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 PM

I've taken them out. It comes out under the dash. the dash does not come out as its wielded in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page