Hello from Buffalo, NY with 64 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Buffalo, NY with 64 Impala

Whats up guys, I have been lurking on here for awhile and decided to join to be in a more specific forum for my Impala.

I have a 1964 Impala 327/250hp. No real engine upgrades as I like it stock. I have owned it for about a year and a half now and have loved every minute of it. I always wanted one so when I saw this one I couldnt pass it up. The timing was right. I got this one down in Ohio.

So far I have done some simple upgrades, front disc swap( having problems bleeding), front and back Air ride, rims, stereo, etc.

Looking foward to some help on here and hopefully I can give some as well.

Heres how I got it, stock except the rims.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 PM

What brand discs, what size spokes?

I have discs on my front as well. I think they are a conversion by/from summit. I know 14" stocks won't fit (damn it!)but, not sure about reverse wheels. I don't see myself rocking spokes anymore, still the option would be nice to have.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madencali View Post
What brand discs, what size spokes?

I have discs on my front as well. I think they are a conversion by/from summit. I know 14" stocks won't fit (damn it!)but, not sure about reverse wheels. I don't see myself rocking spokes anymore, still the option would be nice to have.
I bought a kit from ebay for 0 offset with stock rims. I have 14" spokes. Its not exactly 0 offset though, it does push it out a little, not sure exactly but it is more then it was. It would clear stock rims though. It would clear 13" reverse wires as well. Its from Tomsclassic 0 offset kit. Also look into Scarebird brackets for Impalas they are 0 offset for sure.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 09:00 AM

Nice, I thought they were 14"s. I personally prefer the look of 14 over 13 but I cannot do 15. I'll have to look into it. I would really like to put the car on stock hubs and whites. There's just so many damn choices out there for shoes now. For whatever reason the supremes/cragars look amazing too me. When I was a kid I couldn't stand them. Things change I suppose.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 08:33 PM

There were 14 inch wheels that were installed on the Camaro and the Chevelle from 1969-'71. They were made by Kelsey Hayes and are either plane Jane steel wheel with a trim ring hub for a dog dish hub cap or a Rally wheel. They are very rare and hard to find used as disc brakes were an expensive and at the time a single piston caliper was an unknown option in 1969. Prior years and all of the hot Camaros used the four puck Corvette disc brakes on all four corners if they ordered a disc brake on their Camaro. These wheels are reproduced however, so you can have disc brakes an a SS full wheel cover you just won't see them advertised as fitting an Impala on a Camaro restoration parts site.

In 1972 the factory went to 15 inch wheels if you ordered disc brakes as the 14 inch wheels where getting a lot of complaints for tearing tire beads when installing new tires. Because there is no bead well for the tire bead to fall into (in order to clear the caliper) the tire has to be stretched over the full wheel. If not done carefully and with lots of tire lube they will never work as a tubeless tire requiring a tire tube to mount the tire due to a damaged bead face.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page