65 Chevy Impala SS for Life - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Cool 65 Chevy Impala SS for Life

1st Time Club join . . . brother Dave and I restored my 65 Chevy Impala SS and a 72 Chevelle for him. My 65 has a recently restored 327 that is probably pushing about 350 HP now and not a bad cruiser with a turbo-glide.

We recently flipped a Corvette in order to put a new BBC drive train in my 65 with an updated transmission and rear end combination for more power and better long haul cruising.

Interested in getting good feedback on how I should procede with the drive train upgrade.

Dan Larrabee / Augusta, Ga.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 08:45 AM

It's easy. Just start off by sending that 327 you no longer want to jacksonville. I know a couple 283 impalas that would love to have it😃
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 11:12 AM

Welcome to the Team Dan!

The BBC is fairly easy to install. It uses the same frame stands as the SBC 327 or 283 you have now. For headers you can use the ones made for a first generation Camaro. Unlike your guessing the amount of power a BBC makes I can guarantee it, so you are going to need a much bigger radiator to keep that added power cool. I would advise buying a large capacity aluminum radiator and just painting it black.

That added power is going to break the stock rear end unless it is a twelve bolt. Most small V8's (base engine was a 275 horse 327) got a ten bolt. A BBC will also require a TH400 if an automatic or a Muncie if you want to row gears with a manual on the floor (the three on the tree requires a special Borg-Warner three speed that is hard to find as it was very popular with roundy round circle track racers).

Since there hasn't been a BBC in a Chevy since 1973 there are very few BBC car oil pans. If your BBC came out of a pick-up truck (the normal source of a used engine) it is going to need an aftermarket oil pan and an oil pump pick up to fit in your car's chassis. The pick-up pan will hit the front cross member and is too deep. If it is a out of a truck then you will need to think about replacing the heads at some time as the "peanut port" truck heads are restrictive when it comes time to maximize the engines potential. Just be aware that the old Mark IV heads do not interchange with a newer Gen V 454 block. If you put them on it will have a massive internal coolant leak. A Gen V or Gen VI BBC requires aftermarket aluminum heads which are not cheap.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page