Hello From the Mississippi Gulf Coast - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Hello From the Mississippi Gulf Coast

I finally got back in the muscle car game after selling my Super Bee (can I mention Mopar on this
forum ?) Last month I purchased a '67 Impala Super Sport (396 CID). It is a really nice car but needed a radiator and carb and a few other things, but I am finally driving it more than I am working on it. I look forward to all of your insight as I am a bit rusty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sideview1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	15882  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 PM
BA.

I can't believe you got rid of a SuperBee...........

it's going to take me a while to let that sink in.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I left out the part that it was 30ish years ago. Plum Crazy/383/4-speed...I bought it for $550 and sold it for $1,200 a couple of years later...so I at least made a profit! Seriously, it was money issues, trying to go back to school, etc. I am only 52, but even in the early '80s we all thought old cars were going to be around forever.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 12:48 PM

Welcome to The Team!

I don't know what is worth more today a college education of a big block Mopar. If you throw in the student loan issue I think you would be ahead with the Mopar.

I never owned one, but I had friends with Road Runners, Dusters and a even a '71 426 Hemi Challenger, and used to race them weekly. Wish I had bought that '71 Challenger myself as it was a Plum Crazy with white leather SE interior, but it had a Torque Flight so I passed on it. Beautiful car that was totaled by a Kingswood Estate wagon that ran a stop light in the rain (sped up to try and beat the light but didn't). Luckily it hit on the passenger side or my fiend wouldn't have made it.

Unless you are looking for a numbers matching museum piece ditch the 396 for a 1973-'90 454 short block out of a pick up truck with a more aggressive cam.

Retain your current Oval port heads and oil pan (the truck oil pan will not fit a car chassis) also the oil pump and pick up off of the 396. Keep you distributor as well as the one from '84 up will be computer controlled and will not work. Just that increase in bore and stroke; even with low compression smog engine's dished pistons, will nearly double your power out put. You will think you are driving your Super Bee again!

The only way to make power with a big block Chevy on today's pump gas is with more displacement so bigger is definitely better.

Big Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Dave. I am going to leave it mostly stock. I got the factory air upgraded and put the HEI in it. I just want a decent driver. I have kept all my old parts. Thanks for the welcome.
-Steve
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:18 PM
BA.

Ok ok, since it was a long time ago I can understand.
Full confession, I'm 49, and in 1991 after Uncle Sam said he wanted me back to serve in Desert Shield, I ended up buying a 1971 Duster 340 w/ 3.91 gears and driving it back from California to Ohio. I had to check the oil at every gas stop cause she was spinning those revs so much on the highway!
I sold that 71 for $2250 and made $400!! (seemed like a decent profit at the time) I didn't feel like I could keep it and my 69 Camaro RS from my original tour out west so the Mopar had to go.

BTW - like that maroon color on the Impala. Looks great!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I wish I could have had more foresight on that stuff. Thank you for your service. Thanks for the compliment, the color is a '73 Toyota color (#319).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page