New Member - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Hello all. Steverino here. I just found this site and thought it would be right up my alley. I recently completed some upgrades on my '66 coupe. It had the original 327 ahead of the original Power Glide. Neither had ever been touched. Well, I found a 65 Corvette 327 that I had rebuilt, pulled the existing and put it on a cart for future use. The PG was replaced by a 4L60 from a circa 1992 Cadillac. It took a little work to get it all done, but it is on the road. Rides 100% better and sounds even better. Now to get a little enjoyment out of it before starting the next Impala project, a '66 convertible with a 396 and PG. I am looking for another tranny for that one. Not sure if I'll go with a stick or auto. Time and opportunity will tell. Hopefully I'll be started on that one before year end. Its a great way to spend those cold winter nights up here in WI - in a heated shop, working on an oldie. You can bet there will be posts in the future, lookin for input and ideas on some of the stuff I plan on doing. In the meanwhile, here's to the smell of powerful gasoline, burning rubber and the sound of cool pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 01:32 PM
BA.

welcome to the site, the ol' 4-speed OD automatic is a great update on these old chevy's!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:41 PM

welcome to the team!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 08:45 AM

Welcome, Dont forget the 200 R 4 is a good replacement for a powerglide.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 05:55 AM

Garage
Another option is the overdrive kit from www.gearvendors.com. It basically turns your bullet proof 2 speed powerglide into a close ratio 4 speed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:13 AM

Welcome to the Team!

The big Impala and the Corvette where the only two cars that you could get a bigger big block installed in. If you wanted a COPO in a Camaro it had to be by way of a dealer install or a COPO. Not so in in the 1966 Impala. You could just check the RPO box to order it.

I would recommend bagging and tagging the 396 for a Camaro owner looking for a BBC. I would build a 496 BBC using a 454 out of a pick-up truck that has a 4L80 transmission behind it. You can put 396 decals on it or 427 and no one will be the wiser.

In 1966 a BBC was a high compression monster, with today's pump gas compression ratios you have to go big to get any response out of the engine. A 400 SBC will blow the doors off of a 402 BBC any and every day of the week. Ignore the small bore 396 as if it were a two hundred pound boat anchor slowing your car down (the difference in weight between the SBC and the BBC)

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page