I now own a Caprice :) - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ed Caprice

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

I now own a Caprice :)

Hello All, Yes last Sunday I purchased a 66 Caprice. I do own several Chevelle's, but couldn't pass this one up.
The grandson of the original owner inherited his estate, and listed the car as " Chevy Garaged Chevelle".
Its a 66 4-door hardtop,sitting garaged for 40 yrs. red ext.,beautiful black cloth int., 283 pg,p/s. No rust underneath, but a little on one door. Loaded with tools and parts, all for $900.00. Whatcha think?

Now, I'm looking for three missing pieces, left front eyebrow and filler trim( good used ok), and does anyone make reasonably priced stock exhaust? Not Gardeners price,lol.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'll attempt to send pics next, Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:39 AM

Welcome Ed, If you have a local muffler shop they can probably bend you an exhaust for under 300.00 Sometimes less if you supply the mufflers.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 11:41 AM

Welcome to the Team Ed!

Sounds like you got a great buy.

In 66 the 427 BBC engine was offered in only two car lines; the Caprice (Impala, Biscayne) and the Corvette. Just to ferment ideas. Though 427 (or 396) decals look good on any BBC you should always build the biggest you can afford. Cost per cube is the same to build a 496 as it is to build a 396; and you get a lot more omff out of a slightly bigger 540 than you do a 396 or 402.

Big Dave

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:30 AM

I think you got a deal for sure.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:25 AM

Last time I looked, Walker had all the exhaust pipes available. Check Rockauto, and you should be able to get them from any local parts store.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caprice View Post
Hello All, Yes last Sunday I purchased a 66 Caprice. I do own several Chevelle's, but couldn't pass this one up.
The grandson of the original owner inherited his estate, and listed the car as " Chevy Garaged Chevelle".
Its a 66 4-door hardtop,sitting garaged for 40 yrs. red ext.,beautiful black cloth int., 283 pg,p/s. No rust underneath, but a little on one door. Loaded with tools and parts, all for $900.00. Whatcha think?

Now, I'm looking for three missing pieces, left front eyebrow and filler trim( good used ok), and does anyone make reasonably priced stock exhaust? Not Gardeners price,lol.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'll attempt to send pics next, Ed
[URL=/s484.photobucket.com/user/Ebayed69/media/caprice_zpsryxhlto8.jpg.html]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

62BillT likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:52 AM

Garage
Looks like you got a good deal on that Caprice. I can second the suggestion for Walker exhaust. I bought mine back in March for my 64 Impala from Rock Auto. Everything fit perfectly for me. I posted a you tube video to show how it sounds. Just search 64 Impala Walker in the youtube search area and you'll find the video.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:43 AM
BA.

Excellent! Looks to be in pretty good shape!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Walker Exhaust

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked every Walker site, and supplier. Can only find the tailpipe. Know one has a headpipe( Y-pipe) except a guy on Ebay whos in Canada, has an NOS one and won't ship it.
I'm still searching for a lh eyebrow trim , I refuse to buy a shiny repo set , it would stand-out to much.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:35 PM

You can go into most Walker authorized muffler shops and they will bend you out of straight tubing a complete replacement exhaust system. Including the Y pipe that they can weld together for you. Not only can they make you a stock two inch pipe size exhaust but they can increase the diameter of the pipe up to two and a half inches (when you get into three and four inch exhaust pipe it tends to not fit very well dragging the ground and hitting the rear axle on bumps). I went in a different direction and drug into the muffler shop my own stainless steel straight two and half inch pipe so that the exhaust system that they bent up lasted longer than the car did. I also had them weld up my headers out of a stainless steel header kit I bought from DynaTech (a subsidiary of Walker mufflers) so that from header flange to Bow Tie exhaust tip I had stainless steel pipe.

The old exhaust systems don't exist on shelves any more; but all of the angles for all of the bends are written down in a book attached to or near the tube bender. This allows a muffler shop to stock only straight pipe and make what they need on demand.

Big Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Now, I'm looking for three missing pieces, left front eyebrow and filler trim( good used ok)
Quote:
I'm still searching for a lh eyebrow trim , I refuse to buy a shiny repo set , it would stand-out to much.

I've got some originals available that are in Good to VG Condition.

I'll send you a PM.

Bill

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page