Glad to be here - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Glad to be here

Hi !
my name is Steve and I just recently acquired my 1966 Impala. I had been looking for one for quite some time as it was my first car. My mother had sold it while I was away in the Air Force, due to no off street parking where we lived and the local police at the time were putting tickets on it daily for not being moved. So I am reliving my childhood car at the age of 56. I look forward to picking your brains, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 AM

Welcome to the Team!

In 1966 Chevrolet installed anything from a 153 four cylinder up to the recently introduced 427 in the 1966 B-body. This was way before the federal government required the manufacture to post mileage expectations "... your mileage may vary!" on the window sticker (CAFE was still waiting on the 1973 OPEC Arab oil embargo). So cars were ordered by the dealership sales manager based upon what he thought he could sell. He usually thought he couldn't sell a high performance engine in a full size because the wife was the driver most of the time. About the only people who ordered the 427 where those who lived in mountain states, towed a trailer, or wanted a car with more performance and didn't mind the decrease in mileage (something that wasn't even discussed back in the days of thirty two cent gasoline. The four cylinder was installed in cars used in cities to transport employees about town doing their job (most cities back then had a 25 mph speed limit so the four cylinder could keep up with traffic).

Which one do you have? If you are thinking of opening the hood to admire square acreage of valve covers think of the 454 not the 396 or 427. On modern pump gas you need a lot more cubes to justify dragging around the extra weight of the big block, so I would rebuild an truck donor 454 into a 496.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have the 283 2bbl in it original motor and 2 speed powerglide original trans. car has 121,000. I plan to drive it with this motor till it quits and then build a motor for it. at least 350 maybe a big block don't know as of yet. hopefully it will be a while till I need a motor

No good deed, goes unpunished !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page