Hello, my name is..... - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By dadstoy
  • 1 Post By BA.
  • 1 Post By Txbobcat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Hello, my name is.....

...Wayne. I just recently bought a red 1966 SS 396 w/ 4 speed. Since my very first car in high school (1973 Impala Custom), I have wanted a car from the year I was born. I have gotten really serious the last 3 or 4 years around my birthday, and this year I did it! I'm starting the process of upgrading to 4 wheel discs (necessitating new 15" wheels & tires) and power steering. Will probably have a/c installed before it gets too hot (I live in Florida). Looking forward to getting different ideas on what everyone else does special to their cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 PM

So are you a fan of strong safety Keith Tandy, or are you a thirty seven year old fan of Jack Sparrow's crew across the last four Pirates of the Caribbean films?

Before you go overboard (no plank intended) on four wheel disc brakes read what others have said about the cost benefit. Disc brakes are a racing option that the factory uses on the front of cars because they are cheaper to install than drum brakes. Bigger drum brakes offer better stopping at a lower cost. That and you have to be careful about rear brakes as not all of them will work (especially the early Pontiac and Cadillac rear discs).

Power steering on a '66 isn't that hard to install as the parts are all available as service parts. A/C if your car didn't have factory air it will require a knee knocker under the dash with a Sanden compressor. The Sanden generally requires a wider V-belt to turn the compressor so the GM crankshaft pulley will have the belt riding high and not making enough contact to power the compressor without slipping. I solve that problem with a serpentine belt conversion.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 AM

Hey Wayne, Welcome
buccaneers37 likes this.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:59 PM
BA.

Big Block B body 4 speed?!?!? Sounds FUN!!!

welcome aboard (pun intended)
buccaneers37 likes this.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:44 AM

And red as well. Here come the police
buccaneers37 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
So are you a fan of strong safety Keith Tandy, or are you a thirty seven year old fan of Jack Sparrow's crew across the last four Pirates of the Caribbean films?

Before you go overboard (no plank intended) on four wheel disc brakes read what others have said about the cost benefit. Disc brakes are a racing option that the factory uses on the front of cars because they are cheaper to install than drum brakes. Bigger drum brakes offer better stopping at a lower cost. That and you have to be careful about rear brakes as not all of them will work (especially the early Pontiac and Cadillac rear discs).

Power steering on a '66 isn't that hard to install as the parts are all available as service parts. A/C if your car didn't have factory air it will require a knee knocker under the dash with a Sanden compressor. The Sanden generally requires a wider V-belt to turn the compressor so the GM crankshaft pulley will have the belt riding high and not making enough contact to power the compressor without slipping. I solve that problem with a serpentine belt conversion.

Big Dave
On the name, neither. The guys on the palm tree forum thought I liked Pseudophoenix sargentii (Buccaneer palms). In reality, the Bucs played in Super Bowl 37 on my 37th birthday (1/26/03) and I have used that handle on most forums since. As you can imagine, there was a massive party at my house that day!
I went and bought new tires & rims over the weekend (should be here by Saturday). Wanted to stay with the '60s muscle look, so I couldn't bring myself to buy 17". I just bought basically the same thing I had, just in 15", and a little wider. Cragar 15x7 w/ 235/60s in the front & 15x8 w/ 255/60s in the back. Tires are BF Goodrich Radial T/As. Will transfer the spinners from my old set to my new set. This way I am ready for the disc brakes, if that's the way I ultimately go (which I'm about 75% sure of).
On the a/c, I may have to hunt around a little & get creative. My Impala has the S/S gauge package, so no vents above my console (do you know who fixes these clocks?), and I'm 6' 9", so I need to be mindful of using up too much space under the dash.
I have already resigned myself to the idea that I have the potential of spending lots of money on this car. But if not on the car, it would be something else.
I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions, so please be patient with me.
I have attached a picture of me & my car from my Sunday drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me & my 66 Impala.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	17105  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
And red as well. Here come the police
God I hope not! My days with the police are looooong gone (fingers crossed).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Big Block B body 4 speed?!?!? Sounds FUN!!!

welcome aboard (pun intended)
Thanks. It's been fun so far (except for the frequent trips to the gas station)!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:26 PM

Six, nine? I'm only six, six and I have leg room issues.

Generally speaking if you have drum brakes with out glazed shoes or scored drums it will stop in the same distance, or less than disc brakes will. You go to disc brakes if you think you are going racing. This is because your brakes were designed by the factory engineers to stop your car from only 45 mph. And it will; however when doing 70 it will only do that once before the drum brakes begin to fade.

The average national speed limit in a country that hadn't built limited access highways as of yet. Eisenhower started the ball rolling in the early sixties; but it took the individual states legislatures to cough up the matching funds to actually build them. Florida didn't get an interstate under construction until 1967 and it wasn't open to traffic before 1971: and all we have to do in this state is pave over sand so it couldn't be easier from a civil engineering perspective.

Like I said brake fading is why many go to disc brakes (the rest do it because it is a fashion statement and they are following the herd). A disc brake isn't as efficient (drum brakes are self actuating which is why they have strong springs to pull the shoe away from the drum), they require more pedal effort (the reason disc brake cars come equipped with power assist most of the time), and they take up a lot of room inside the wheel. Almost all disc brake cars where shipped with 15" inch rims for that reason (though the Camaro/Nova and the Chevelle have a specially made K-H steel wheel just for disc brakes cars in 14" inches). It is also why as brakes get larger in diameter the wheels are growing progressively bigger. The Camaro with 12" inch disc has either 16" or 17" inch wheels and the Corvette with 15 inch discs has 20" inch wheels (my pick-up has 22" inch wheels).

The bigger the disc brake diameter the better they work as there is more brake torque applied to the wheel by moving the caliper further from the center (they all use the same size pads even on the bigger brake sizes). The bigger the disc and the thicker the disc the more metal is in the disc to absorb heat. Of course it increases the unsprung weight requiring bigger and better valved shocks. The added weight is important to absorb and shed that added heat from repeated high speed stops.

Everyone thinks about doubling or tripling the horsepower of their engine with out giving a second though that the brakes have to take all that added horsepower and shed it as heat to drag the car down from speed. It is that heat that causes a drum brake to fade as car brakes of the sixties where small in diameter, narrow in width, and light weight (except for cop cars and station wagons which used the larger diameter wider drum brakes off of a heavier pick-up truck).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page