What to do? - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Txbobcat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

What to do?

Hello Group, I'm MaNiaCaL and I recently acquired a 64 Impala 4 door. I found this car in a junkyard. Thought my friend Jeremy would want it. Sure enough he picked up the complete car with clear title for 750.

He quickly lost interest and now I have the car. It isn't in bad shape and I could probably get it running with a weekend effort. But I'm not sure what to do with the car. I have a YouTube channel where I post my car videos (mostly VWs). And this Impala gets sooooo much hate. "Sell it for parts" "a 2 door needs those parts" "it's not worth anything" etc.

So I'm not sure where to go with the car. Do I get it drivable and sell. Do I sell as a parts car to the highest bidder, Or do I do a mild restoration and drive it myself?

I am open to opinions on the car. I don't have pics, but here is a YouTube video.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 AM

Welcome to the Team!

If you don't want the car sell it. You rarely make money selling these cars, but considering what you paid and what I see in the photo I think you can. More doors are not as popular as a two door, but guys who want to take the family (or friends) with them when they hit the road love them. You have the most popular year of these old boats so that helps.

You probably won't find a lot of guys here who appreciate the gift of herr doktor Porsche, but having raced auto cross in my youth I love the engine and transaxle with torsion bar front end as the building blocks of a killer Go-Kart.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 AM

I agree with Big Dave.

To put my slant on it, if you are not in love (or at least infatuated) with the car, don't spend money on it. And that opinion has nothing to do with how many doors it has. Metaphorically, they are like kids; if they are not yours, they are a very costly pain.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Some good perspectives for sure.

I do like the car, but the problem is that I'm a car guy. I like a lot of cars (and have a lot of cars) There is a lot I like about it. And it's a 64. IMO it's one of those "legendary" cars. I'm not sure that I have the time for it. I dream big.

Either way I'll skulk around here a bit. I'm gonna do something with the car. Will need some help with those nuances that I don't know.

And VWs are totally street legal go carts (last I will mention VWs on the Chevy forum.....maybe......probably not......but I will try......sorta)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Looks like a dry southwest locale ? What I see of the body, it's in amazing condition for a '64. Up here in MN, a car that has been here all it's life rarely has any sheetmetal below the door handles.

2 door guys would love to get the front clip to restore their rust buckets, but beyond that, there's little else of the body that has much resale value. Selling it as a running, driving car would be my suggestion, that is if you don't want to keep it.

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 AM

I am not a 4 door fan but they are starting to grow on me. That car made it over 50 years and it would be a shame to part it out. I would do a cheap resto on it and drive it. Someone will want to buy it from you.
62BillT likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM

There are Facebook groups that buy, sell, trade old Impala's . I have a site for 65-66 Impala's. Someone may buy it for parts or to restore. Just put a price on it that your happy with regardless of weather it runs or not. But if you could drive it up on a trailer its worth more.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:50 PM

You asked for opinions, so I will offer mine. It is simple. Don't live with others, or their opinions. How do you feel about it? If you like the car, keep it. If you personally don't want it or do not like the look of a 4 door, sell it. Looks like it would potentially be a cool car just to drive around. Assuming no major issues with it, I would get it running, keep it and have fun driving it around. I drive and own cars for the experience, feel, nostalgia, and enjoyment of being able to easily work on them. This car is not lacking in any of those areas and should be a blast to drive around. If I found one here in PA where I live for $750 in the condition I would not hesitate. Ironically, I own cars that most people normally would not own yet I always get thumbs up every where I go with them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

@marsmann I agree. I am having mixed feelings about the car. I know I'm not gonna do a full resto. I imagined that I would do exactly as you stated. Get it running and just drive it. It's not a 4 door thing for me. I honestly don't care who hates me or my car. It's just soooo far down on the list of junk.

@Txbobcat What I was thinking about it surviving and in complete condition, but kinda wanted to reach out to the Impala people. Ya'll know more than randoms on YouTube.

Thanks to all of you. I do post builds on YouTube. Whatever I do with it I will post on these forums. I plan on hanging around as I get through it. Right now my daily driver F100 is giving me a few fits, and I have 2 VWs to finish for the Texas Classic next month. Will probably bring the Impala indoors after that.

Keep or sell will determine itself.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNiaCaL View Post
@marsmann I agree. I am having mixed feelings about the car. I know I'm not gonna do a full resto. I imagined that I would do exactly as you stated. Get it running and just drive it. It's not a 4 door thing for me. I honestly don't care who hates me or my car. It's just soooo far down on the list of junk.

@Txbobcat What I was thinking about it surviving and in complete condition, but kinda wanted to reach out to the Impala people. Ya'll know more than randoms on YouTube.

Thanks to all of you. I do post builds on YouTube. Whatever I do with it I will post on these forums. I plan on hanging around as I get through it. Right now my daily driver F100 is giving me a few fits, and I have 2 VWs to finish for the Texas Classic next month. Will probably bring the Impala indoors after that.

Keep or sell will determine itself.
I'm certain you'll make the right call for you We will be here if you need us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page