1966 Bondo Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Txbobcat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1966 Bondo Impala

Not too much to say. I am a new Impala owner of a Standard 1966 Impala. I was aware it was rough around the edges when I bout but was unaware of the gallons of Bondo that was used on and in her! Yes I mean gallons. So what I had thought was going to be a winter/spring project quickly turned into probably a 2+ year project. I do already have a LQ4 engine and 4L80e trans out of a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I will need all the help and advice I can get and find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:02 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Unless you are a professional body man with access to a fabrication shop I would consider this plastic Impala as a Parts Car only and look for a better pile of sheet metal in the form of a car body from the desert southwest to transfer the interior and trim parts (as well as a 12 bolt if it has one) from your car into a better one as interior and plastic parts are destroyed by the desert sun that also preserves the sheet metal from rust.

It sounds counter productive, but patch panels are expensive (as are floor pans and full quarters; if AMD is even currently pressing them, which I don't think they are). Because these big boats are not as popular as a 1955-'57 Chevy shoe box or a 1967-'69 Camaro there isn't a complete body stamped out of brand new sheet metal ready to spot weld together to make a new car. You usually have to scavenge sheet metal off of a wrecked car of similar year and model to restore one properly. Your cheapest solution is to start off with the best body you can find (the parts you can not buy new) and ad interior, trim, power train and accessories as time and budget permit.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 AM

If it does have a gallon or two of bondo as Dave says find another body and use it for parts. Quarter replacements are thinner than nos quarters and much harder to work IF they fit correctly. When they don't fit correctly it will cost a LOT more $$$. Buy you a $1.00 magnet next time you go looking. It can save you thousands of dollars.
I went to look at a 72 Chevy pu a few years back. Truck looked good owner said no rust anywhere. When I pulled out my magnet and started rubbing over the rear tires it wouldn't stick for over three feet. The owner knew what was happening and he said. Do you really think that is fair? Nobody else brought a magnet. I told him this magnet is my friend it never lies to me.
62BillT likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Big Dave & Txbobcat, I completely agree with the both of you about making it just a parts car! The only reason why I don't is due to funding which I know doesn't make since considering everything it needs! I am a disabled Veteran and it has always been a dream to be a custom restorer and it has been a great therapy for my PTSD....... I am trying to be positive and look at it as a huge learning experience in auto body. I have never done full panels but have been around auto restoration/building since I was little. I found a man very well known thru Facebook, in Colorado that is going to end up supplying me all nos parts from cars he strips. Very fair prices and is even letting me make payments.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM

Sounds good.

Keep us posted on it.

We also like pictures, lol.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Trying to upload pics from IPad

How can I upload pictures from an iPad? I did notice that in the little"Posting Rules" box that it says "You may not post attachments"???
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trying to figure out how to load pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.4 KB, 44 views)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:19 PM

That is beyond thick!

Looks like they kept ladling mud into a hole and hoped it stuck,

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
That is beyond thick!

Looks like they kept ladling mud into a hole and hoped it stuck,

Big Dave
For sure.

Do it for the experience. I ef up a lot of crap so when I run across something nice I might have a clue as to what I'm doing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 PM

When I was in high school I had a buddy name Ron that worked in a body shop. His boss didnt want him spending a lot of time fixing dents. Had him fill them with Bondo. He earned the nick name Rondo Bondo.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:05 AM

lol
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:23 PM
BA.

welcome John,

check out the pics in my blog and you'll see how much bondo I took off with a 4" grinder with a few friends one night. Dust EVERYWHERE.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page