About to buy my first classic! - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Txbobcat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

About to buy my first classic!

Hey guys,

Decided to ditch my modern car for a classic.
I'm getting a 63 with a 3 on the tree and a 327 that will be for daily driver (30-40 miles a week).

My dad had a 62 Bel air when I was growing up so I've been getting the itch for a full size Chevy and I'm finally going for it.

Any tips for making her as reliable as possible?
Disc brakes, EFI system, and tranny/engine/diff flush I'm assuming are at the top of the list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Actually just make it safe to drive. Disc brake are not a must have, but you can upgrade to a duel master cyl. EFI systems are nice ,but a HEI distributor makes starting easier. And while your at it a one wire alt removes most charging problems and gets rid of the regulator.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking the disc conversion made sense just because it's only a few hundred more than rebuilding the drums.

As far as the HEI distributor is it worth it to spend the extra bucks for a Mallory over summit house brand?

Good idea on the one wire. Didn't even think about that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Congrats on your First one and welcome to the team!!!
I got bitten by the classic bug back in 2014 with my first and now I just had #3 delivered last Friday... Depending one the amount of stop and go traffic, I would defiantly recommend brake conversion and also depending on what region you live in, would be a good idea to undercoat to discourage and prevent any rust issues that may arise.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:17 AM

I still have the original brake drum system on my 64. 53 years and running
62BillT likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:57 AM

If your not into High performance stuff such as aluminum intake, headers, cam change, ect . I would not be buying the most expensive aftermarket equipment. Your local NAPA carries new and rebuilt. As far as disc brakes. I changed my 65 Impala to disc brakes to get rid of darting. When I came to a stop I never knew which way it was going to dart, left or right. The disc brakes solved it. I just feel that if your not having problems with your drum brakes then leave them. But if your rebuilding the whole system, thats the time to think about changing them.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page