62 rear end - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

62 rear end

Hello everyone new here.

i have a old project car i am starting.
62 impala convertible.

Wanted to know about the rear end.

I got a hold of a LS1 from a 01-02 camaro ss with low miles.
Was curious as to the rear end strength also i would love a posi rear end my current setup is not a P.
What would be my best options if anyone happens to know about the rear end on these or my best choices.

I want to have air bags with 20x10's in the rear, disc brakes yet to acquire.
Figured i would start with the frame up and begin with the rear end.

Would appreciate any help if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM

Welcome to the Team!

1962 axle is too old and feeble to support LS-x power it was built for a six cylinder engine. Not sure when the factory finally abandoned the 17 spline axles for the bigger 28 spline axles that were used in newer cars (in the base engine size, as the stronger high performance cars had 30 spline or 31 spline axles); but it was around 1961 or '62.

Without a P case there isn't a non-aftermarket option for a posi. Problem is there were very few made and most today reside under 1953-'62 Corvettes. What you do not want to even consider is an aftermarket "Ford" style rear end. They are no stronger than a stock rear end (using the same size 28 spline axles). If you want to change the axle to get one strong enough to handle an LS-x motor consider either a Pontiac-Olds rear end from 1957-'64

1957-1964 Pontiac and Oldsmobile Rearends - Hot Rod Network

or a cut down to fit a Dana 60 with press-on bearings for 33 spline axles (the Dana 60 accepts up to a 45 spline axle size but there are no limited slip differentials only spools).

Chevy Chevelle Rear Axle Swap - The Great Rear Axle Comparo - Hot Rod Network

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links.

Are there any bolt on kits that would fit with a 20x10 under the wheel well. What i got from the links is the 9in ford is more narrow but the dana spins more freely. Is there a best of both worlds or a newer version ready for a 62?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyTwo View Post
Thanks for the links.

Are there any bolt on kits that would fit with a 20x10 under the wheel well. What i got from the links is the 9in ford is more narrow but the dana spins more freely. Is there a best of both worlds or a newer version ready for a 62?
Rear end is a tube with a center chunk as far as the car is concerned. How it is mounted (control arms, trailing arms four link allows you more or less adjustment, to maintain control of that tube, but it doesn't affect how it will look from out side the car.

Car suspension for control is based upon rigidity of the frame (where the suspension attaches) but in your X-frame car it is anything but rigid. You can have super stiff coil springs to force the wheels where you want them to go but in your car the frame just bends and flexes as it was designed to do that for a smooth ride. With air bags you could actually get sea sick cruising around. People don't install air bags for a controlled ride they want to be able to have sparks cope off the frame as you go down the road as it sits so low (more show than go).

I was building race cars long before Pro Touring, or G-machines were though of as I loved road racing (Sebring Watson Glen), and drag racing, and Because I couldn't afford three race cars I drove what I had on the street so it had to be legal as well. (I am also a degree engineer so I could afford to build these cars as well as designing the components to meet the strain). I built stout rough riding cars that could turn, stop and fly like a bullet out of a riffle, they just were not compliant with any car fashion (many were not even all one color). So I never went for Show to me it was all about the go.

Any rear end will fit. You need to decide what you want the rear to do for you. Some people buy a Ford nine inch just because every one else is doing it and they want top be part of the crowd knowing it is probably the worst choice for their car.

Big Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM

You have a few different options. I found a 59 vette posi P case and dropped it right into the rear end on my 62 Biscayne. I also replaced the stock axles with new Yukon Axles specifically for the 61-64 full size Chevy car. A while back I also came across an article for how to clearance your existing non P case to fit a posi carrier in it. Can't seem to find it now, but do some googling and you should find some info. It involves grinding out a web on the inside of the casting if i remember correctly. Then you can see out an aftermarket posi unit, like an Eaton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I called Moser and they said a Dana wont fit a 62 impala.
They said they have the 9in for that.

That package cost quite a bit.
If i get a original P and some Yukon Axles that will work and be a stock fit?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 AM

Currie may not sell one that fits but I have seen a Dana 60 under a 1961 Chevy Impala belonging to Mike Castellano the famous Pro Comp driver. The rear end is big, but still not as large as a stock 1957-'64 Pontiac-Olds rear that has a 9-3/4 inch ring gear and 31 spline axles. That was stock in every car made by GM not just under hot rods like Ford and Chevy did it.

Rear ends (and transmissions for that matter) are rated by torque. Basically you lock up the rear end and put power into it until something breaks. GM went to new nomaclature that tells you the relative strength of a part (In the case of transmissions they compared it to an Alison out of a school bus). So the TH400 became the 3L80 and the TH350 became a 3L45, while it also tells you how strong a 6L95e transmission used behind an LS-7 Corvette engine must be.

The 30 spline axle Dana 60 was rated, by Dana-Spicer, at 1,500 ft-lb continuous input, 5,500 ft-lb max peak input. The 35 spline units are rated to 2,400 ft-lb, which is limited by the strength of the 9.75" ring gear.

The Pontiac-Olds rears are nearly as strong (the housing is the weakest link with the tubes bending under load). It is a company that doesn't want to be bother by a special order that would probably have gotten the salesman fired had his boss learned he is telling potential customers to go away.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page