Greetings with a barn find '67 Impala SS - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Greetings with a barn find '67 Impala SS

Hello fellow Impala owners from Baton Rouge, LA AKA "Geauxtown." I am about to embark on my '67 Impala SS project which was rescued from a NW Texas barn after 35 years. 327 4 bbl., 3 sp. auto, A/C, P/S, P/B, Gold, gold interior, black vinyl top. Bought from the original owner family who parked and stored the car in 1980 due to an internal engine problem which turned out to be a faulty ignition condenser. Rusty only near the trunk SS emblem and will make a great restomod. Working on the build plans now which include Chevrolet Performance Connect and Cruise LS 376/430 HP Engine and Automatic Transmission Package, ride tech suspension, vintage A\C and Baer brakes. Look forward to forum research and seeing your great Impalas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Cowl tag data as well as I can see it:
67-16887 BT03644
890 G2
C08C60M40U73U80

Found with this car was the original paperwork, books, title, some gas receipts, maintenance records, original spare tire, original wheels/hubcaps installed, original floor mats, original Texas plates last registered in 1980 and the metal dealer tag "Steakley Chevy Town." The car is original except for some engine compartment replacement wear items. We were able to get the car started after about 1.5 hours of work and the car ran well once we figured out the "new points and condenser" installed in 1980 included a faulty condenser - loose wire. These barn finds are still out there.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:28 AM

Congrats. Can't wait to see pictures. I would love to find one stowed away in a barn

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Welcome to the Team!

Speeds thing up to remember the fire triangle: Fuel, Heat; Air. Air we swim through daily, heat is caused by a spark plug firing added to static compression (which we assume hasn't gone away since the car was parked last, as it takes a hole in the piston to prevent it from running), and fuel which is hard to get right with gasoline.

If you have a spark you have heat, unless you are on the moon or Mars you have air, so the fuel ratio is usually the problem with these old cars. Your lack of spark makes it easier to trouble shoot if you follow the wiring and test for voltage.

Big Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:41 PM
BA.

Great find, welcome to the team.

Also can't wait to see the pics!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 PM

Good to hear. I found the same in the general area. Same scenario except mine was a 64.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:14 PM

I wished they would have let me kept the black title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page