Hi from Southern Tier of NY - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Hi from Southern Tier of NY

09-16-17 01:32 PM - Post#2707837

Hi to all... growing up in the 50s and 60s, naturally there were always Chev owners in our suburban neighborhood of North Baltimore, way too many to count, really. My own Dad had '51, '53 and '56 6 cyl 4 dr sedans, but he inexplicably switched to F- and P word wagons and sedans, probably because the ol '56 Stovebolt 6 burned oil almost right from the start!

In mid 1967 the neighbor across the street traded his fading blue '59 Biscayne 6 for a shiny new gold '67 6 cyl Biscayne, and that same year I learned to drive on our high school's Driver's Ed new dark turquoise '67 283/auto Bel Air, on loan from Marsden Chevrolet, which I remember as being incredibly nice to drive solid, quiet, and smooth in comparison to Dad's new but not particularly refined '67 Fury III 4 dr hardtop. In late '68 my eventual Mom-in-Law (whose daughter I started going out with 12 months later later, and whom I dearly loved like my own Mom while she was alive) bought her first new car ever, a new '68 307 Caprice Sport Sedan 4 dr hardtop at the end of the model year, in a lovely pale yellow, with black vinyl top & beautiful black brocade interior that seemed like those in a real luxury car. So these late '60s big Chevys have always been among my most favorite cars of all time, as I feel that in'65 to '69 or '70 GM's cars were at their peak. Growing up always with full-size cars - Dad worked for a steel company and the big ones used lots of steel! - I've always loved those big boats best, just ordinary family models, not necessarily the SS and coupe models, as cool as they are. So I've been looking for a very original more or less turn key '67 or '68 4 door full size Chev, all models, and several are on the radar. Luckily some are out there and they're not as pricey as the really sought after models! I've posted a ? about frame rust in another section...and will post pics when I find THE car! Great site!! Roger in Binghamton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:41 PM

Welcome to the Team Roger!

Consider a vacation at Disneyland in CA. That way you can check out the SoCal car market that includes Arizona and New Mexico. You want a totally rust free car if you can get one (unless you just love doing body work and have access to a full fabrication shop that will allow you to make your own patch panels from flat stock). If you find something either ship it, or drive it home.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, that's good advice, in past years I bought and transported a '56 Olds and '58 Chrysler from AZ and NM respectively, well worth the extra expense. Good cars do show up in the NorthEast, but not as frequently for sure. Hoping to find a good one closer to home, and luckily late 60s Chevs are a lot more common than '50s Olds and Mopars, so hope to find one not too far this time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Well just bought a '68 Caprice Sport sedan, identical to one our family bought in August of '68. 327/THM400, 78k original miles, and totally original excepting one outer skin repaint 20 yrs ago and the usual tires &c.

No way to post pics from desktop? Can't do URLs. Bogus!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	154398-1968-chevrolet-caprice-std.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	18769  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Drop and drag worked ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1424034-1968-chevrolet-caprice-std.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	18777  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

rear
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	154434-1968-chevrolet-caprice-std.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	18785  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Car out of Pennsylvania, virtually rust free, 50 yr worth of patina.
we'd rather see a used car than a show queen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page