New 1970 Caprice owner - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By RG454
  • 1 Post By Darth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

New 1970 Caprice owner

Hello everyone purchased a 1970 Black on black 454/4 speed Caprice. didn't find a caprice site so thought I just might hang out here. Looking forward it
62BillT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 PM

Welcome to the Team!

1965-'70 was all one production run, with the B-body car having many different styles during this period.

The 454 was introduced in 1970 in the Chevelle and the Corvette. First time the mid size car was allowed to have an over 400 cube motor thanks to the Mustang and Torino 428 CJ and the 429 Boss Mustang of 1968. Chevy was not in the racing business anymore; but they were not going to loose the muscle car race to Ford either. While all the resdt of GM's fleet had to live with a 400 cube limit (thanks to NASCAR limiting engine size back in 1962), the B-body and the Corvette had always had the biggest displacement engines available as an option. Which makes me wonder why more didn't order the 427 or 454 when it became available.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 PM
BA.

Big ol' car.

Seems like it's had an interesting history if it's sporting a 454/ 4-spd!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:33 PM

Sounds like someone built the car that GM should have offered!
62BillT likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

From what history I can find the car was mainly built by Chuck Hanson form Hot Rod TV. The car is a beautiful automobile. I had the privilege of owning a 1970 Black on black 454 auto with corvette rally's In 1976. My father purchased the car brand new from a GM executive who ordered it and then changed his mind. My father worked at the GM plant in Indianapolis. That was quite the day when my dad brought that beast home. I was 12 and when I was 18 a senior in high school, I Purchased the car from My dad for $1000. The car was perfect and I was in heaven. It was my dream car and at the closing of my senior year I was involved in an accident which totaled the car and crushed my pride. I vowed that one day I would find another one to replace it. I have search on and off for over 40 years for that combination, Well I am 59 now and received a call last November from a buddy saying he thought he had seen a car like mine for sale in Nashville Tenn. the pictures on the web brought back some very fond memories. So we made the call and was told the car was a perfect restoration and in excellent shape and it had a 4 speed headers and a mild cam. Just the upgrades I was going to do 41 years ago. I test drove the car and even before we could get back to Nashville Speed Shop where is was being sold, A gentleman tried to buy it from us said he couldn't get over what a beautiful car it was. Well enough said I am a 59 year old kid again cruising in his High School dream car. Since the purchase we have added air tec air ride system and up graded the sway bars and the car rides like a cadddy and handles like it is on rails. I just wish I had a dollar for every thumbs up we have gotten! Loving it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave, It was kind of funny back when I was 18 and had my Black on Black 1970 Caprice w/454 a close friend of mine had a Black on Black 69 Caprice with a 427. Man we used to have a ball cruising the Steak and shake , White castle and the tee pee. That was a lot of black B body rolling. Not to mention they were both spotless cars back then. Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page