63 conv. Impala project - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

63 conv. Impala project

Hello everyone, im new to this site and would like to get some information on picking the right LS engine for my project. I was told I could just get a donor car and drop the engine and transmission from it. But need knowledge knowing what the year,make and model of the donor needs to be. Please help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:51 PM

Welcome to the Team!

It will not drop in! It is a motor swap that either requires aftermarket parts; or for you to fabricate parts to accomplish this swap. You will need to perform surgery on the car to make room for a larger transmission with a different mounting location. You rear end may not handle the power levels the motor pumps out, unless you have a 12 bolt already.

You need the donor car to get all of the nickel and dime items that the salvage yard breaks off or strips off the car. You need everything off the donor car or truck that touches the motor including the gas pedal. (radiator, gas pump out of the tank, cables a d wiring, CPU, you name it! If it is in the vehicle then it is controlled by the car's computer,. and needs to be swapped over to your car).

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 11-21-2017 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:04 PM

Garage
http://www.impalas.net/forums/11-eng...tml#post204953

I don't know anything about this kit but it might work.

-
1964 Impala

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:16 AM
BA.

Welcome to the site man!

Nice to see that MuscleRodz has that LS kit for your car.
When looking to 'pick the right LS engine', you need to ask yourself whether having an aluminum block or an iron block is relevant for you.
The iron blocks are a little more plentiful out there (mostly in trucks/SUV's), and they can handle the extreme ends of supercharged or turbocharged power better. (like 700HP+) They'll also be 70-80lbs heavier, and right over the front wheels which is worse for those looking for greater handling. Personally, I think it's worth the time to find the aluminum block, and I think the accessories will look/fit better.

The other difference to bear in mind when buying a complete junkyard or used motor is the placement of the AC, PS, Alternator. Most trucks/SUV's have one style that is kind of tall and high, then there is the so-called 'F-body' and lastly the 'Corvette' layout. I think you'd probably be best served using the 'F-body' style. On many old cars, the low mount pass-side AC mounting interferes with the engine cross-member. Plenty of places make adapters to mount it higher, or else folks cut a notch out of the engine cross-member.
Chevy LS Accessory-Drive - Gen III/IV Small-Block Swap Guide - Hot Rod Network

Putting the engine in place is the easiest part! It's the other crap that can be painful. (finding trans X-member, floor tunnel mods, getting a radiator to fit, Oil Pan!, etc.) Not to mention what Dave noted about overpowering the rear-end. All problems easily solved by $$$.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page