64 Impala SS convertible rocker panel question - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

64 Impala SS convertible rocker panel question

I'm new to the site and looking for information on rocker panel replacement on my convertible. I have searched the threads and found lot's of information but can't seem to find an answer to the problem I'm having. The inner panel is in good shape. I have purchased the outer panel with internal supports and also the heavy u shaped support braces that weld to the bottom outside of the outer rocker panel. There is also a heavy internal support brace extending from the front of the rear wheel house ( the lower B pillar welds to this piece) to about halfway through the outer rocker panel. I cannot find this piece anywhere. Here is a pictured of the piece I am talking about.
Does anyone know where to find this piece or do I have to fabricate something? The internal support with the outer rocker panel that you can buy anywhere on the net is not the same as this support piece. I assume this is extra support used on convertibles only. Any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_11692521521.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	19474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 03:28 PM

You are correct in your assumptions. Convertibles have boxed frames under the body, and extra frame member under the lift cylinders to support the weight of the roof. The convertible body has a separate unique "L" shaped (piece of sheet metal that was pressed into an angle iron brace that runs trough the middle of the four other pieces that forms the lower door sill along with outer and inner pieces). Without this structural support the car would break in half when you opened the door.

To my knowledge because there are so few convertible models there isn't as much demand for the special convertible parts you will need if you have a lot of rust. A case of supply and demand (or reworded; low demand, no aftermarket reproduction parts).

If you have a four foot foot powered sheet metal brake (that can handle 12 gage sheet metal), and not only know how to weld but have a MIG welder, along with pnuematic cut off wheels, spot weld cutters etc. you can make your own parts.

https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...ication-repair

Here is the complete two and a half year restoration on one CD.

https://powernationstore.com/product...iac-lemans-dvd

There is a lot of body work technical information and training on how to use body repair and metal fabrication tools on that CD if you have no idea what you are doing (like me I only use a welder to make car cages suspension parts and trailers, not welding thin sheet metal). I couldn't paint model cars without getting runs. Though I used to cut up six inch thick steel rails for shipping scrap metal to Korea with an acetylene torch, I would probably blow a similar size hole in thin sheet metal if I ever tried to weld.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

That's about what I was expecting. Guess I will be doing some fabrication work. This is a barn find that sat under a tarp for 40 years. Everything is in perfect shape except where the mice had built nests in the rockers. Years of mouse urine and moisture took it's toll.
Thanks for the information. Hmmmm, where's the nearest sheet metal shop......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page