HELP! Impala '03 Ls 3.8 V6 Wont Start-Mod Thread - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

new here guys

hi guys im new here, got an old chevy that wont start in my yard looking to get it in tip top shape with the help of this forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

HELP! Impala '03 Ls 3.8 V6 Wont Start-Mod Thread

I will provide pics and vids when my phone charges but basically 100k+ miles engine is in bad shape, it wont crank but when it worked i had to constantly put water / fluid in radiator cap, the fan never came on. although my ac ran perfectly fine. there is a leak where water makes it way down from the sunroof area to where the sunroof buttons are, and water builds up and leaks into the car, this may be the cause of an electrical problem where certain lights dont come on in the interior.
i had a problem where the car wouldn't crank and gave a loud screeching noise until i replaced the right axle. car ran smoothly for a while then the overheating problem reappeared. The car has always had abs sensor check engine and low engine light ect on. the check engine light would blink after 30 mph especially when on the highway.

Now when i try to crank the car it wont crank only or turn on at all, only shift gears. I plan to replace /rebuild the engine with the best parts with the help of you guys. I have no problem getting parts, as i get them dirt cheap so this would be no problem. I've already gotten a replacement radiator and fan with a water pump. ALL tips are appreciated as this is my first hands on experience under the hood and i know little to nothing about cars i dont even know if its FWD or RWD.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:41 AM

I think you will likely have more success with this issue at a forum such as Chevy Impala Forums

This forum is dedicated to the older rear wheel drive Impalas.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Welcome to the Team!

Sounds like an interesting story. Did you buy the place from an "Oil Baron's" estate (or maybe even Walter Beech's old place) that included a couple of Duesenbergs and a Rolls or two, and some kind of a Chevy for the footman to go into Wichita to buy groceries for the cook?

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 05:53 PM
BA.

That must be the worst description of 5 or 6 different, mostly unrelated, issues I've ever read.
There is a logical process to troubleshooting an issue and shotgun descriptions won't get ya home.
I can't even tell if the car starts or not right now!

"it wont crank but when it worked i had to constantly put water / fluid in radiator cap" - These 2 things are not related

"a problem where the car wouldn't crank and gave a loud screeching noise until i replaced the right axle." - So replacing the axle fixed it?

"Now when i try to crank the car it wont crank only or turn on at all, only shift gears." - Doesn't turn on? Why are you moving the shift lever?

Sounds like you need to BAIL on this lemon and get a different ride before you start throwing money at it!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

Last edited by BA.; 12-18-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Rule of thumb: Sideways engine = FWD.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

major problems: overheating/excessive pressure from radiator cap. steering wheel locked when i turned left.

i replaced the battery and was able to drive it but the loud noise your hearing indicated i needed a tow to the mechanic, he replaced radiator and fan + alternator. told me i had a blown head gasket. i drove less than a few blocks away and the steering wheel locks up after i made a left turn. towed it home.

So far ive replaced:
radiator + fan
alternator

and i have:
ignition coils
module
spark plug wire set
upper intake manifold set
water pump
transmission master kit

Now i need to find a reliable head gasket set, motor mounts, as the old ones are either worn or non existent ect.
im replacing all the old worn parts so post your reccomendations below
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:38 PM

Here is the same recommendation as post #3: visit Chevy Impala Forums for help with your FWD car.
BA. likes this.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page