Waiting for the thaw - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Talking Waiting for the thaw

Not really new to the site. I had an account back in 2007-2008 under Gloryhound, but I don't have the E-mail that account was registered too any longer and can't remember my old password. I also live in Michigan now.

I finally got a garage space ready to start my work on my 63 Impala SS convertible. The car has now been sitting in a garage in the Nevada desert for 20+ years, so pretty much anything rubber is rotted out from the dry heat. Luckily it hasn't been in the sun though. I had rebuilt the engine and transmission back in the early 90's, but the engine hasn't been cranked in 20 years and the transmission has puked up its fluid through the front main seal. The rear brake line is out as well and since it has a single bowl master that means all the brakes are out.

Plan on driving down this spring or early summer to haul her home on a flat bed. Pretty much a 4000 mile road trip over what I plan to make a 2 week event as I want to spend a couple days at my parents in Nevada.

Current plans are to get it on the road again and then figure out what part of the classic car community I want to run in. Be it road tours, car shows, hot rods... I can pretty much eliminate low rider and drag car already. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Recommend a full frame off restore for this one. Upgrade all parts on the frame for safety reasons. Replace rear end if you are going to put any power under the hood as the car's transmission and rear end were designed to handle only a stove bolt six (235 fire breathing cubes of power). The PowerGlide you have shares only a name with the PowerGlides you read about in magazines that talk about a drag car. They share no parts in common, and only the idea of a two speeds has been retained in the aftermarket transmissions: which is two too few for the street.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page