new member - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

hi my name is Zack, im 21 and have recently bought a 67 b body chevy, its not a impala but a bel air. This is my first forum and I have a few questions id love some feed back on. I always loved old cars but do not have much experience with them so all the feedback helps. It has a 350 motor and 350 turbo trans, some rust, 4 door with pillar posts. ill get right to the questions

1.why does it seem so hard to find parts compared to the A bodys
2. i am going to have to replace my rear deck filler panel as it is rusted through, but i cant seem to find one. should i just fabricate my own
3. the rain guard trim above the doors has caused rust, ive heard of people cutting them out and grinding them down so its flush with the body, seemed to easy, wondering what would be best
4. i blew the rear end up and thought about just getting a whole new rear end because it has a small 10 bolt, is there any rear ends that would be better then others

thanks so much for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
thanks so much for the help
Welcome to the Team Zack!

Quote:
why does it seem so hard to find parts compared to the A bodys
The B-body just isn't as popular due to it's size, but mostly it's weight. There are two ways to go fast. One way is to have a really big motor, the other way is to loose weight.

Look on U-tube video for the 5 O.M.G. where two guys pulled a Mustang 5.0 Fox body motor and put it in an MG-B convertible that was a 1000 pounds lighter. It scared them with the increased power to weight. Anther example is a 500 cube full size Cadillac that Hot Rod magazine kept cutting bits of the body off with a torch until it was down to just the frame rails. They tested it and showed how much quicker it was as different parts where cut off.

You can buy a brand new Camaro (2,860 pounds), or a Tri-Five Chevy (3,100 pounds) which are popular and have a lot of demand for parts compared to a 1971-'74 Impala that tipped the scales at 4,530 pounds).

Quote:
i am going to have to replace my rear deck filler panel as it is rusted through, but i cant seem to find one. should i just fabricate my own
Probably but I would check with Classic Chevy and the used car lots in the desert south west that have rust free cars for parts first.

Quote:
the rain guard trim above the doors has caused rust, ive heard of people cutting them out and grinding them down so its flush with the body, seemed to easy, wondering what would be best
That is a mater of personal preference. It is called shaving and people remove drip lines, door handles trim and other parts to get a clean look. Personally I only take my cars out on dry warm days because I am traction limited. So a drip rail wouldn't bother me. It is there to keep rain water out of the car that runs off the roof.

Quote:
i blew the rear end up and thought about just getting a whole new rear end because it has a small 10 bolt, is there any rear ends that would be better then others
Hard to do with a TH350 (that isn't that strong) and a 350 that can be a great power plant; but not likely to break parts in stock trim. Now if we are backing the car up and throwing it in first to break the tires loose then yes you can bust a rear end. The Spicer ten bolt is as strong as most nine inch Ford rear ends that share the ten bolts 28 spline axles.

I broke rear ends, transmissions, drive shafts, universal joints and clutch parts all the time when drag racing with a high horse big block. I finally got tired of rebuilding 12 bolts and just install a Dana 60 under all of the cars that I build as part of the car build.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

thanks big dave, so the best way to find parts for body panels are in the south west

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 PM

Welcome to the group, Zack! I'll chime in and say I've found some really good parts on Craig's List, just searching 1967 Chevy in my area. I'm in Ohio in the heart of the rust belt, however I found a guy outside Columbus who funds his restoration of his and his son's '67 Impalas by going south to get parts cars and parting them out after he gets what he needs. Also have lucked out on an incredible set of fenders at a restoration business that had stuff laying around from an old build.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:43 PM

A 1965-70 12-bolt rear axle will bot in.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:57 PM

Advantages of a desert south west parts car:

!962 Trunk pan and Inner fender rear where water splashes up:

1962 Rag Top Chevy Impala with rusted out quarters:NOT!

Need a 1959 Car part?

I know there is one here some where:

You have to have water to get steel to rust. Deserts don't get rain fall, morning dew, snow fall, or anything but burning hot Sun and Rattle Snakes.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 09:52 PM
BA.

If you are looking for used parts, yes they can be a little difficult to find compared to A bodies. You just have to hit the swap meets a little more and spend more time on eBay and Craigslist. :-). There's also a few Facebook pages dedicated to groups of guys that have b-body cars and parts. Find them and join the groups!!

There's at least half a dozen businesses selling new repop parts and you can get their catalogs.

I think Dave eluded to your underpowered engine not needing a heavy-duty rear end.
Due to the rear end width I think you'll have to stay with a similar bodied Impala if you pick up a used one or junkyard one.
Unless you start pumping out 400 plus horsepower with sticky tires, you're probably fine with a standard 10 bolt replacement IMO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 PM

The desert is pretty good for preserving the sheet metal, but it reeks havoc on anything rubber, plastic, cork, or cloth. I actually am planning on driving to Nevada this summer to pick up the car trailer my dad is giving me and I am thinking I might have to bring some clean sheet metal back to Michigan as a way to pay for my gas. Just have to find a good bone yard along my southern route home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
body work, intro, parts, rear end

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page