New Glutton for restoration punishment - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By reverandjeff

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

New Glutton for restoration punishment

Hey all!

I used to have a 66 Caprice that i lost many years ago (poor choices being cheap of parking in a business lot to see a concert before the title was changed over and unable to get it back) and just found and purchased a 65 4-door Impala that i'm SUPER excited to start trying to restore.

This is my first go round actually trying to restore an old car other than general fixing of stuff wrong with my other 9 cars and 2 Harleys.

The one i found needs the interior redone but otherwise seems to be complete and runs/drives. Will be searching for threads on things like door handle and door alignment, easy upgrades (such as brake swaps, etc.) weatherstripping and trim tricks and tips, and wiring replacement.

shaark92 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:32 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Sagging door is a worn hinge. There are a lot of people offering repair kits. You will need a panel jack to hold the door a strong friend with patience.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgIoxPD_BwE

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Hi Rev!

Welcome! I'm pretty new myself. About to start on a 61 Impala ... actually not A '61 ... THE '61. My first car. Still have it.

Not too far from ya ... Erath county. Big Dave is a GOTO source. Thanks Big Dave!

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Do a rolling resto. Keep driving it as you work on it. This will keep you motivated, and you will enjoy your efforts as you finish projects.

Welcome aboard! Lots of good experience here, you'll get help with anything you need.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 PM

Welcome to the site! I had a 66 Impala SS when I was a kid. Got it from my brother cause he got married and needed money more than the car, even if it was the first car he had bought as well. He got fortunate though as I gave it back to him while I was in the military.

Now I got my dads ride a 63 Convertible SS. Plan on keeping on the road until I get all the mechanical right. The I'll let them take the body off and get it done right.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:42 AM
BA.

Welcome aboard Reverend Jeff.

Like most folks here I also had zero experience in a car's resto other than some normal bolt ons in previous cars..

I'd stopped short of calling it a restoration, but you can see what I went through in the link of my signature line.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page