hello 62 impala bbc swap - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

hello 62 impala bbc swap

hello I am new to site,just wanna see what everyone's opinions are I swapped a 427bb today and am looking to use long tube headers like I had on my small block. what's everyone's take on this,what headers have you used. I do not want to spend 900$ on hooker ceramic headers and have to smash them to fit steering and suspension issues.thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:58 PM

Off the shelf headers are universal fit headers. That means they will universally fit nothing.

If you look up the part number for the header you are looking to buy you will discover that the manufacturer says that same header part number fits every SBC (for a SB header), or BBC in every car that Chevrolet made over the range of the series. In other words your BBC Impala header will also fit a Camaro, Nova, and Chevelle body equally well from 1968 through '90. They don't list them for light trucks as they will hit the firewall (car headers do not drop down low enough to fit a light truck), and they won't fit a Corvette as there is just no room under the hood of a Corvette for most off the shelf headers.

To get a guaranteed fit you have to make your own from a header assembly kit, or to buy custom made headers from an old school muffler and exhaust shop just like the Jerry Stahl, or Bob Headman, or Doug Thorely originally did in their muffler shops offered back in the early sixties.

Lemon's will custon make a standard shaped header for you as he claims to be a custom fabricator but he fits one car with a specific set of heads and makes all others of that body type to fit the pattern if they share the same head.

If he has never seen your combination before he will custom fit tubes to your car for about $3,600 but only if you get your car to his shop. Then every one else who has your car and motor combo gets the same shaped headers for only $1300 made from your new pattern he established.

Today's headers are all assembled from robotically cut and bent pipe by a Mexican (he could be a Korean for all I know, but the headers are made in Mexico) in a jig and another robot welds them together. Then the low wage per hour worker (still think he is probably a Mexican) takes the header from the welding robot and puts it in a box after it is either painted or coated by another robot. Headers are not equal length or even designed for performance just appearance (show instead of go) as most don't care about performance, being more concerned about how loud their exhaust is, and how lumpy their cam is.

By the way don't put in a 427. Rebuild it with a 496 rotating assembly to get the same level of power out of a pump gas motor (your 427 will not run on 11:1 compression that the 390 horse Impala 427 motor had back when your car was new). I used to get 550 horse or more out of a high winding L-88 427 at the drag strip that ran on Sunoco 260 back in the sixties, but you can not buy Sunoco 260 at the pump any more as today it comes in a five gallon pail for $58.99 ($11.88 per gallon).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

thank you face I have already put motor in the car mated up to tranny and ready to do exhaust. I've found a few different headers fro hooker and hedman I've just wanted to know if anyone has used these and not had to smash them to get to fit. I want 1 7/8 long tube or shorty,or mids. im looking for part numbers if possible. there has to be plenty of guys on here who have done this swap

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

sorry thank you dave ...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:00 PM

Hedman Headers offers the best fit of all of the brands that I have tried. They offer only one set of pipes for your car.

1958-'64 Full size passenger car with X-frame
Fits Mark IV BBC through Gen VI (396-502) No 572 Tall Deck
LONG Tube Style
1-3/4” Primary Tube
3” Collector Diameter
Part numbers:
68180 Uncoated (black paint)
68186 Silver (aluminum powder) ceramic coated
68183 flat "Black Max" ceramic coated

These headers:
Will accept the stock Harrison Air Conditioning compressor brackets
Will clear stock Power Steering pump brackets
They will NOT work with clutch linkage (requires an automatic transmission or hydraulic clutch)

Foot Notes:
1 No Catalytic converter
6 Requires modifying stock exhaust
25 Motor swap must use all stock BBC parts (aluminum heads with raised ports won't fit)

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page