Weird engine suffix code? Impala motor 396 - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 964IMPALA
  • 1 Post By 964IMPALA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Weird engine suffix code? Impala motor 396

Hi,all I purchased an engine recently 1968 cast# 3935440 It has a really weird suffix T0419I5 yea a 5 and the vin# 18D166508 I see broach marks in the picture on the deck pad so i believe it was a factory stamp.
I believe the D in the vin is Doraville GA internet says Impala was building cars there from 65-69
my info could be incorrect so any help would be appreciated..
Thanks 964IMPALA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0611181510a_resized.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	21578  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:51 PM

I was really stumped on this one and I toyed around with the idea that maybe the 5 meant an "S" (I also equals 1 sometimes for an example), but the IS was a '68 427. Your Casting Number also proved it to be 396. Anyway, I was just about to give up and I found this:

Drivetrain Decoding |

You very well may have a COPO Engine.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
I was really stumped on this one and I toyed around with the idea that maybe the 5 meant an "S" (I also equals 1 sometimes for an example), but the IS was a '68 427. Your Casting Number also proved it to be 396. Anyway, I was just about to give up and I found this:

Drivetrain Decoding |

Hi,thank you for that info i really think you may be right..do you think thats an Impala vin#?
Thank you

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 PM

If I were guessing I would say it was an IG and the worker was either drunk or lost his last stamping die (they broke them all the time if they hit off angle or were drunk and hit it too hard). Not implying that assembly line workers would come to work drunk, but by lunch they could be if they had a couple of beers in their lunch pail.

Big Dave
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
If I were guessing I would say it was an IG and the worker was either drunk or lost his last stamping die (they broke them all the time if they hit off angle or were drunk and hit it too hard). Not implying that assembly line workers would come to work drunk, but by lunch they could be if they had a couple of beers in their lunch pail.

Big Dave
I don't know Big D that I5 is a 396 COPO suffix,think someone on the super car registry will know?
I would think only the old timers that were responsible good work ethic back in the day punched the deck.
If it were a ford i would agree with you..LOL
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:16 PM

The Casting Number tells us that the Engine was for a Camaro, Nova, Chevelle and the Impala. Use a '68 Chevy VIN Decoder online for that info. I would post the info over at the Super Car Registry in the COPO - United States forum. They should be able to help you a little better over there. Keep us posted on what you can find out on it.

Bill

Member:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The Casting Number tells us that the Engine was for a Camaro, Nova, Chevelle and the Impala. Use a '68 Chevy VIN Decoder online for that info. I would post the info over at the Super Car Registry in the COPO - United States forum. They should be able to help you a little better over there. Keep us posted on what you can find out on it.

Bill
Bill,thank you again,
Its weird the guy i got the motor from had a 1970 396/375HP CE motor for sale and this I5 motor was in the corner i paid his asking on the CE motor and ask whats up with that motor over their him being a Camaro guy said its not a Camaro motor so take it with you..LMAO fingers crossed..

i signed up on that site (super car registry)tonight but i wasn't sure it included Impalas as it seems everyone owns a camaro or chevelle on that site.
Again thank you and ill update as i find out be nice to see the motor find its car.
Thanks again,,,
62BillT likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 AM

Might point out that it took a COPO order to get a 427 in a Camaro, or Nova, or a Chevelle: but the same engine was available as an RPO (just tell the salesman you wanted that instead of a 307) only in the Corvette or the full size car. If you were going to pay extra to order a COPO (you had to up front at time of order all in cash, and you got no warranty with the car when it arrived) wouldn't you rather want a 427 instead of the 396. Makes no sense to me.

A 396 is to the 427 as the 305 is to the 350. Both share the same stroke but both have a miniscule power robbing small bore. The 305 will not accept a 2.02" intake head because the valve hits the cylinder block. Same thing happens in a 396, as the 2.19" inch intake valve in a 396 will hit the block as well if it were not notched. Even though the factory notched the block to clear the valve; it is still fully shrouded, reducing air flow into the engine. It is why I threw every 396 block I found on the scrap iron pile to make into a Honda back when these were in used cars, and why I think a 4.600" bore is a good start to build an engine today.

Big Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Might point out that it took a COPO order to get a 427 in a Camaro, or Nova, or a Chevelle: but the same engine was available as an RPO (just tell the salesman you wanted that instead of a 307) only in the Corvette or the full size car. If you were going to pay extra to order a COPO (you had to up front at time of order all in cash, and you got no warranty with the car when it arrived) wouldn't you rather want a 427 instead of the 396. Makes no sense to me.

A 396 is to the 427 as the 305 is to the 350. Both share the same stroke but both have a miniscule power robbing small bore. The 305 will not accept a 2.02" intake head because the valve hits the cylinder block. Same thing happens in a 396, as the 2.19" inch intake valve in a 396 will hit the block as well if it were not notched. Even though the factory notched the block to clear the valve; it is still fully shrouded, reducing air flow into the engine. It is why I threw every 396 block I found on the scrap iron pile to make into a Honda back when these were in used cars, and why I think a 4.600" bore is a good start to build an engine today.

Big Dave
Not according to the drive train link provided
Drivetrain Decoding |
clear as it gets
396ci COPO 9565 (313HP) IY? IW --
396ci COPO 9559 (IZ, I2, I3, I4)
396ci COPO 9627 (I5, JB)
427ci/385HP L36 -- IJ IH
427ci L36 SS427? -- IS IE
427ci L36 COPO 9626 (I6, I8)
427ci/425HP L72 -- -- ID

* Engine code for L73 and L30 with TH350, used in
late-year 1968 TH350 test fleet
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:42 AM

Well, I really liked my 396. It was a '67 396/325 to start with, but had a 375 Solid Lifter Cam, Edelbrock Hi-Rise, Dual Feed Holley and Hooker Headers. Was a great street engine for what I wanted.

I also remember the '66 SS 396 Chevelle's brand new.

Impressive machines.

Member:

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Impressive machines.
To which I have to ask did you ever have a 427 or a 454 to compare them with? The 454 was available in 1968 as a collection of service parts with the crank sold across the parts counter at your Chevy dealership and the pistons from TRW out of their catalog. In '68 I bought three complete L-88 short blocks fully assembled and added a collection of ZL-1 and L-88 aluminum heads to the mix along with Crane Cams as Harvey had at the time convinced me to test his designs by having me buy five cams at a time to try out in my motors. They were impressive moving my 1967 Camaro to a consistent ten teens at the the strip, and this was my daily driver.

Why would I order a 396 when I had a bigger bore variant of the engine for the same money? I learned what a bigger bore could do for performance with my 409 engines: well to be truthful I dropped the 283 the moment the 327 came out, building a long series of 331 engines rather than the 283 because it ran better. I tried a 348 when they were cheap in the bone yards and then upgraded to the 409 and never went back to a SBC up until 2002 when I built my 406 (come to think of it it had a bigger bore than a 327/350 as well).

I was interested in all forms of racing though I couldn't afford a road racer or an F1 I was aware of how they where built. Most early F1 cars that made over 400 horse power out of 1.5 liters used a bore that was twice the stroke and reved to 11,600 RPM to make their power. They were basically a super bike engine in a four wheel tube frame car with an aluminum skin.

I loved the 15:1 compression Ford-Cosworth DFV 2,993 cc V8 with a bore and stroke of 3.373" x 2.555" in producing over 400 bhp (408 bhp at 9,000 rpm, 270 ft⋅lbf (370 N⋅m) torque at 7,000 rpm) normally aspirated on alcohol. Wasn't very efficient, but it was the most successful race engine built at the time. Just wish someone would have built a four valve per cylinder dual overhead cam for the BBC (Pat Mussi has come the closest with his thousand cubic inch Hemi headed aluminum billet engines).

Big Dave
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
To which I have to ask did you ever have a 427 or a 454 to compare them with? The 454 was available in 1968 as a collection of service parts with the crank sold across the parts counter at your Chevy dealership and the pistons from TRW out of their catalog. In '68 I bought three complete L-88 short blocks fully assembled and added a collection of ZL-1 and L-88 aluminum heads to the mix along with Crane Cams as Harvey had at the time convinced me to test his designs by having me buy five cams at a time to try out in my motors. They were impressive moving my 1967 Camaro to a consistent ten teens at the the strip, and this was my daily driver.

Why would I order a 396 when I had a bigger bore variant of the engine for the same money? I learned what a bigger bore could do for performance with my 409 engines: well to be truthful I dropped the 283 the moment the 327 came out, building a long series of 331 engines rather than the 283 because it ran better. I tried a 348 when they were cheap in the bone yards and then upgraded to the 409 and never went back to a SBC up until 2002 when I built my 406 (come to think of it it had a bigger bore than a 327/350 as well).

I was interested in all forms of racing though I couldn't afford a road racer or an F1 I was aware of how they where built. Most early F1 cars that made over 400 horse power out of 1.5 liters used a bore that was twice the stroke and reved to 11,600 RPM to make their power. They were basically a super bike engine in a four wheel tube frame car with an aluminum skin.

I loved the 15:1 compression Ford-Cosworth DFV 2,993 cc V8 with a bore and stroke of 3.373" x 2.555" in producing over 400 bhp (408 bhp at 9,000 rpm, 270 ft⋅lbf (370 N⋅m) torque at 7,000 rpm) normally aspirated on alcohol. Wasn't very efficient, but it was the most successful race engine built at the time. Just wish someone would have built a four valve per cylinder dual overhead cam for the BBC (Pat Mussi has come the closest with his thousand cubic inch Hemi headed aluminum billet engines).

Big Dave
Dave

I love my 396/375hp motor and look Camaro put ot a 350 sbc called a 302/dz with over 400hp
but i woulda gone with the L88 Vette if i knew what you knew back then
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:53 PM

Dave,

If I was a serious Drag Racer, I may just feel the same way. But of about 50 of us friends back in the old days who had all kind of Chevy cars, only 2 or 3 did any organized racing at official strips. We were just out to have fun and we sure did. A lot of us just had hopped up 283's. A 327 or a 348 was pretty cool. A 396 was a dream, lol.

The more I think about it, a 396 reminds me a lot of my '72 Harley-Davidson Sportster. A lot of people would walk up to it and say "it ain't really that fast" especially with all the rice rockets around back then, but with the 61 Horse-per-Cube V-Twin it had along with the long chrome straight pipes, my answer was "it's fast enough for me", lol.

My next project is only going to sport a 327. I'll be more than happy with it.

Member:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Drivetrain Decoding |

Bill,
Thanks to you!

I sent out a few emails to some well know car guys Camaro,Chevelle,Impala Different ones The guys that write the books we all refer to,
I have gotten 1 email saying the COPO 9627 OPTION was a resistance type spark plug design (what ever that means)and they have never seen nor documented an I5 COPO 9627 Motor and want me to send as many pics of the motor to them as i can so it can be documented...
I'll update as i can..
62BillT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page