New Member in Michigan - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

New Member in Michigan

Hi Everyone! I'm a new member to the forum and happy to have found it. I have a 1970 Impala 350 hardtop. Does anyone know of someone in southeast Michigan that does really good body and interior work? Don't have the time for it. Body just needs small dents and rust spots worked on. Vinyl top is perfect & still has original paint. Please check out the photos I posted. We're just east of Lansing and west of the Detroit area. Has a rebuilt carb, new radiator, replaced bushings, shocks, front & rear brakes and trans is in good shape. Runs like a charm even with 113,000 miles. Just needs some body and interior work. If it's too costly, I may just sell it but need to get some estimates before I do that and hate to give it up. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02572.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	21601   Click image for larger version

Name:	add'l 17.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	21603   Click image for larger version

Name:	add'l 18.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	21605   Click image for larger version

Name:	add'l 19.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	21607   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02579.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	21609  

62BillT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:15 PM

Welcome to the Team!

I know of no one around the Detroit/Lansing area. A city that large should have several shops that specialize in body work on classic cars (not doing collision damage repair for insurance companies).

I suspect your body work will probably require quarters and fenders as new Chinese steel, even with a 25% tariff, will still be cheaper than paying a body man to spend hours welding in patch panels that have to be fabbed in his shop and then the amount of quality time with a body hammer and dolly to get everything straight and rust free. Suspect you have more rust than shows so spending some time with a refrigerator magnet might show up Bondo covering more rust than shows up now.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 PM
BA.

She's a boat that one!

Welcome to the site. Sorry I don't have any tips on shops in your area.

Sometimes hitting a local car show and talking to some of the attendees can help point you in a good direction though. . Good Luck!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:14 PM

Good Fenders and Rear Quarters are not easy to find for a '70. Unless there is lots of hidden bondo, I would just fix the needed areas the best way you can, with patch panels or custom fabrication, which ever makes the best sense. Don't get discouraged. Your best bet would be to find a good body man who works for a shop, but does work on the side after hours and week-ends.

Car looks good. I like it. To many, this would be an easy restoration project.

Keep us posted on it.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:38 AM

Welcome fellow Troll. Unfortunately I live on the west side of the state and am not familiar with your area, but I would bet you have more options than I do, just have to do a search. The problem I have found with estimates is they can't account for the hidden stuff until they get to work and get the areas stripped. Almost always they will find additional work that needs done. Lots of body men are out there, but the really good ones are far and in between. Granted if your just doing a driver you don't need a really good one, just a capable honest one. On a tight budget you can sometimes find Vo-tech body schools that basically will do the work for the cost of the parts. Only issue with it, is it is someone in training doing the work with the oversight of an instructor and some of the instructors out there are teaching because the really can't do it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Welcome to the team.

hello to all. Sunil here this side. I'm also new to this forum.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteschoolofl1 View Post
Welcome to the team.

hello to all. Sunil here this side. I'm also new to this forum.
I have seen a lot of pictures of India, and have even been in few cities there, but I have never seen an old full size Chevy driving on the road in traffic. In some cities I couldn't even see the traffic for the smoke and smog.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page