New Impala owner - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

New Impala owner

Just bought 1964 Impala project car. The person I bought it from worked on old cars with his brother, his brother passed away and he lost interest in the car. He gave me a great deal it was hard to pass on it. The car has been sitting 8 years with him and not sure how long before. He kept the car inside but who ever owned it previously left it outside and the front and rear windows leaked. The bare metal in the interior has a bunch of surface rust just been working on that. When I took apart the heater housing the inside where the core sits rusted through because of debris stuck between the core and the housing. Could use some help locating a new interior heater box for a 64, the have an aftermarket one for 63 but they say it’s not the same.
Thanks John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D15F9C38-3BE4-4FC6-9945-3DA341D17515_1531677457676.jpg (19.2 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Welcome to the Team John!

If they say it isn't the same it is probably different in some way. It may be that you could weld the two together to get one good 1964 Heater Core Box, Interior; but I don't know what the difference is (could be a missing bolt hole an extra bolt hole or a moved heater hose inlet location). No idea; but it was modified by Chevy to make it cheaper, or to solve a warranty issue (once again about money) that customers had filed complaints against the car. Those are the two motivators for change in the company.

I might add that with the steel tariffs and tariffs on anything coming from China (where 98% of all restoration car parts originate) a lot of parts and restoration warehouses are going to disappear; just like a lot of speed shops went belly up in the great recession. This hobby depends upon discretionary funds. When it gets too expensive people stop buying. People stop buying and the companies that sold them parts go out of business. Takes a generation to restart the cycle. When there are no bolt in parts you have to fabricate your own from flat sheet metal with a Planish Hammer, English Wheel, brakes and shears plus the good old TIG/MIG welder.

Big Dave

As a Post Script I might add that the Assembly manual will have an illustration of the part (you would need a 1963 Assembly manual to compare the picture to to see what is different).

To do any restoration you need a full set of the published manuals from Helm that GM gave to all of their techs every year. You will need an Assembly manual: shows a drawing of the part, list the then valid Chevrolet part number (they constantly change with every modification of the part), any gaskets or sealers used to install it, or the bolt torque, bolt size (length, thread pitch, and grade), and quantity of bolts used (if any), and the order of installation.

You will also need a Service manual that tells you how to diagnose problems with the power train and how to R&R every part.

Further the Chassis Service manual details frame and suspension parts and includes the specifications of all bolt torques, fluids, capacities, and service parts to maintain your car.

The Fisher Body Service manual was written for the collision tech to repair by removing and replacing every body panel, window glass and door or trunk panel, and exterior trim piece on your car (great to find out where to drill holes to mount all that missing SS trim).

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 07-15-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page