New Member - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Hello all. It’s nice to have found this site. Just made a deal today for a 1964 Impala 4 door HT. It’s been sitting outside on a farm for for over 37 years. Body, glass and chrome are decent. Minimal rust. Interior is shot. First task to research is how to get 3 of the wheels which are seized, unstuck so I can roll it onto a trailer for the trip home. Looking forward to utilizing the valuable info found here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:21 PM

Welcome to the Team!

If the distance isn't to far I would seriously recommend taking it home on the back of a roll back wrecker. It can be winched on and dropped off at your garage without setting the farm on fire. Heat applied to the lug nuts can get them off and allow you to start the disassembly process. If the wheel hubs are seized to the spindles they an be removed and taken to a machine shop to salvage parts as based upon condition. Most likely the problem is going to be the brake shoes have grown very fond of the drums and have corroded to the point were they are one solid unit now. Might take a torch to cut away the drums.

Any way you figure it a blue tipped wrench (an acetylene torch) is going to be your best friend for a while.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils64FourDoorHT View Post
First task to research is how to get 3 of the wheels which are seized, unstuck so I can roll it onto a trailer for the trip home.
I agree, a Rollback would be best.

But to get the Wheels and/or Drums off, I would try a Hammer. Sometimes I have even graduated to a Sledge to get Wheels off (along with a lot of Penetrating Oil). A large Ball Peen should be able to handle the Drums, even if they get ruined. It's cheap enough to buy new ones, which you may just need anyway. Just make sure the car is supported good before going at it.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys. I am a good 320 miles away from it. Will probably be going out again
Labor Day weekend. Will try the penetrating oil and a big hammer to start with.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 PM
BA.

I'm with Bill above. Your wheels might be seized like mine were. Salty humid air and sitting for 25 years took its toll.

We winched it onto a trailer and once home I began the Penetrating Fluid, Heat, Beat, Repeat cycle.

Ultimately, broken wheel studs and even broken brake drums are cheap, not a big deal and easy to replace. Good Luck!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page