New to forum - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

New to forum

Hi guys, I just bought a 63 Impala coupe and I'm here looking for advice, suggestions and tips while I get it back on the road. Its in great shape but I bought it with no engine and it needs some body work. First task will be changing out the front floors which I have already bought, just waiting on the trans hump piece. My car was originally a low option V8 Auto on the column with bench seat. Now its going to be a 427 big block conversion with a muncie 4 speed and bucket seats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 AM

Welcome to the Team!

Good choice! Only I would just buy 427 390 horse decals; not build or buy a 427 (unless we are talking about an LS-7 seven liter fifth gen small block). Instead I would build a 496 for your '63. They all look alike on the outside, and a big block really wants a LOT more compression than today's pump gas can support.

A stock SBC 400 can out compete a 427 (and probably a 496) on pump gas in all performance tests. It just won't have those mile wide valve covers.

You can blame the engineers that designed the BBC in 1961 to run on 104 octane gas. They had no idea that unleaded 87 octane swill was on the horizon. The head design (a modified Hemi chamber) requires high static compression to work. Take away those huge domes and replace them with a dished piston and the fire literally goes out before all the gas it inhales is burnt. That is what makes it a "dirty" engine and banned it from cars in 1971 (1969 in California).

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock63 View Post
Hi guys, I just bought a 63 Impala coupe and I'm here looking for advice, suggestions and tips while I get it back on the road. Its in great shape but I bought it with no engine and it needs some body work. First task will be changing out the front floors which I have already bought, just waiting on the trans hump piece. My car was originally a low option V8 Auto on the column with bench seat. Now its going to be a 427 big block conversion with a muncie 4 speed and bucket seats.

If you are open to keeping the bench seat, and if you are going the GM way of installing the 4 speed, you may want to utilize one of these while you are attacking the tunnel:

https://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/co...ction&key=4243

There is a seal and a template sold by that vendor too.

When done, looks something like:

The first pic is a '62 with the SS shift plate (there's a slightly different one for '61). The second pic is how the '63 4 speed w/bench seat looked (there was no bench seat 4 speed SS option in '63).

Either of the SS shift plates (61 or 62) fit the '63 and look quite nice if you with to diverge from the original.

I have the 61 shift plate on my '63 Impala convertible (bench seat). The third pic is my car. I personally like the look of the Impala over the SS. A bench seat w/4 speed too cool.

For engine? Suggest you compare what is available now-a-days with the sbc. It's quite easy to get 400+ lb ft of low end torque (between 2k and 4k rpm) and 400 'ish' hp out of a 383 sb. Same block as came with your car just 1/2" longer stroke. Might satisfy your 'power' needs and simplify (reduce costs) of your installation.

Just trying to be helpful.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62 SS shift plate w:bench seat.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	21894   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 chevy bench seat 4 speed.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	21896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Version 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	21898  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:27 PM

+1 in support of this project

should make for a fun car when completed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:04 PM
BA.

Nice acquisition, looks like it was a nice cruiser in it's past.

Now you get to ....... "Make Impala's Great Again!" Good luck!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page