Got a Sport Sedan for $0. What’s next? TURBO LS - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Got a Sport Sedan for $0. What’s next? TURBO LS

First off, I’d like to give thanks for the add. I will now probably be using this forum A LOT as I embarking in a new project of mine. I recently got a 1960 Sport Sedan for absolutely nothing. Literally nothing. It had been sitting in my grandmothers yard for around 17 years since my grandfather had passed and she asked if I wanted the car. If not, it was going to be sent to the yard. Of course I took up on that offer and am now just trying to get it back on the road. Original 283 car with AC 61,000 miles on the odometer. Car is straight as an arrow and no rust at all besides some old school bondo in the lower part of one quarter panel. The interior is shot though due to the drivers window being down for years. That’s okay in my book though! Because this car soon will be bleeding with boost. The big plan is to budget turbo LS swap it since I’m getting ready to begin college within the next few months and will be short on money. I’m fine with just swapping first and adding boost later. Just need more power for cheap and want to show these people who spend so much on their cars up and see their faces when an almost 60 year old turd beats them in the quarter mile. I will need as much help as possible and will be using this forum almost every step of the way I bet. My question is, is there anyone who has LS swapped a 1960 in the forum? If so, how hard was it to fit, what rear end was swapped, etc? Just throwing this out there so I can kind of get an idea of where I’m going to be at. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 AM

Welcome to the Team!

My advise would be to put it in storage until you finish your degree. Going to college will consume all of your time and money. As to money it is better to work your way through school than to borrow money to finish. A lot of people wish they had followed my advise when I taught high school as a sub.

As far as storage goes it doesn't have to be in a climate controlled garage. Just getting the car up off the ground and covering it with a canvas tarp will work to preserve it.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM
BA.

That's great that you got a cool old car for free. Sounds like it might be a running/driving car without too much hassle.

I tend to agree with Dave here that trying to work and go to school and fix up a ride (especially a full-on LS swap) is an incredibly hard thing to accomplish. (all 3)

If there's no talking you out of that, then I would have to at least suggest a slower approach or you may end up with a broke car that sits forever.
I think you should
A: get a fuel filter installed between the fuel pump and the carburetor.

B: get it running
C: upgrade ignition to either Pertronix electronic or HEI distribuitor
D: upgrade the alternator to a 1-wire.
E: Probably going to need new tires
F: Drive and enjoy, tending to whatever little things crop up. Because they will.
G: Check out Brakes and Steering for potential bits needing replaced.
H: Now you can make a list of what an LS Swap would take and how much it would cost. The whole ensemble of special oil-pan, motor-mounts, exhaust mods, transmission/driveshaft hookup, etc will all add up quickly.
I: Prepare to upgrade your Rear-end because the LS will break it most likely.. If you put sticky tires on it, the U-Joints will break too.

J: Remember it's an X-frame, it's going to twist if you run it with sticky tires at the track with an LS motor. You'll need to strengthen for that as well.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I plan on just getting the basics done first before I even think about LS swapping it. That will be later on hopefully next year at some point. As of now, I’m just looking at a cruiser. Fueling, brakes, cooling, and tires are really all that need to be done do make it a running and driving car.

I’ll most likely rebuild the front end with new components so it will handle a bit better. It’s just something to piddle with for now. The gas tank, sending unit, and the carb came today. I bought a torker 2 intake so I can warm the 283 over just a little bit. I’ll leave those parts on until I do the swap and then sell the aftermarket parts I buy for the 283 to get money for the swap. Like I said though, as of now I’m just looking for a cool old cruiser. I couldn’t let that car go to waste even if it is a sedan! Lol. Thank you guys for the advice it is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page