Excited to start 61 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Excited to start 61 Impala

Hey all,

New to the forum, just looking for advice and ideas. I got a great deal on this 1961 Impala that's been in storage since 2002. Looking to get it running and front glass. Any help locating it would be appreciated! Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180303_130112.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	22044   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180303_123503.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	22046   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180303_123553.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	22048   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180303_123521.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	22050  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 PM
Team Member

Awesome!!! Front glass, power brakes, and long tube headers to match that intake.... good lord. Gotta let that motor exhale.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:13 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Any clue on cam and rear end gear ratio? Nothing wrong with a tunnel ram on the street, except when you have to cut a hole in the hood to get it to fit (why I loved my '55 Chevys: tunnel ram with 4.56 rear gears and solid and a lifter cam under a flat hood, and big mufflers to keep it all quiet).

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

LOL, no clue on specs except it was just a 4 bolt 350. I have a number of idea's i'm throwing around. I have several LM4's laying around (aluminum 5.3 liters) that I might throw in. It hasn't been turned over since it went into storage in 2002 so I have my work cut out just to get it running. I have to clean out the radiator and fuel system for starters. The owner wasn't able to locate the keys so I have to get new door/trunk/ignition setup. But first, where can I find front glass? I see some on sale on ebay and summit but i'm looking for a part number if anyone can help just so I purchase the correct part first. I plan on making this a build thread and follow up with some youtube videos.

Just a little background on me, i'm active duty Air Force stationed in Idaho and I'm an aircraft maintainer on the all mighty F-15 Strike Eagle. I've been in a little over 24 years and I currently have a 2002 Z-28 that I pulled the LS1 out of and replaced with an iron 5.3 and slapped on 2 turbos so I know my way around wrenches and mechanics. I look forward to being an active member on here and can't wait to get this thing running!

Travis
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 PM

I would be looking in barns around your neck of the woods. Some farmer somewhere has one pushed back in the corner of his barn. Might have to go as far as western reaches of Washington (Idaho is pretty sparse on population) to find one but you want a barn find that has been out of the sun to prevent the plastic lamination from separating over time from the sun heating and cooling the glass.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:01 AM

For a Windshield, I would go with a new one. The biggest problem isn't buying one, but getting it shipped to you. I would start at your local Auto Glass Dealer. If that doesn't work, locate the closest aftermarket Vendor near you. But either way, be sure to compare prices.

Nice car BTW.

Keep us posted on it.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:10 PM
BA.

I think that is one FANTASTIC find. And I love the hole in the hood for the tunnel ram! I would totally leave that. I'd probably leave those wheels like that too - no caps or rings.
Gives it a very throw-back feel which is rare these days.
I second the set of headers.

Good luck on the windshield search.

Welcome to the site.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page