Hi guys. I’m Mark with a 66 impala SS convertible - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 62BillT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys. I’m Mark with a 66 impala SS convertible

I’ve been checking out the site from time to time and can see that this is a valuable site with much to offer. I’m doing a frame off on my convertible and will be adding, replacing and updating almost everything.

I’ve been working on the frame for the last year and am ready to send the body out for metal work, floors and quarters. I’m looking forward actually getting to start installing and wrenching on things.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give and I’ll gladly share anything I have learned in my journey through this frame off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Please tell me that by working on the frame you mean painting and replacing bushings and suspension parts that wear.

A convertible relies upon a strong frame. That is why a convertible frame uses thicker metal, and has a deeper draw than a sedan or hard top frame. This is in addition to the central "X" brace that is riveted in place.

If you have a rusted out frame that you have been patching up I would consider buying a used replacement frame out of a desert junk yard. You really don't want the car to break in half when you open the doors. Of course Sacramento is bone dry and they don't salt the roads to get a lot of rust if your car was born and grew up in SoCal.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dave. I’ll just tell you up front. This build will be a street / show Lowrider. So I’m sure you know what I’ve been doing now, wrapping and molding it and getting ready for paint, stripping and leafing.

Yes everything will be new and completely chromed out suspension. I am in California....lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73084313-19EE-42E3-8568-E322C1AF716D_1554404116596.jpg (18.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 772A6960-0F65-4585-B7E0-DE1FB4780549_1554404147333.jpg (19.3 KB, 18 views)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:56 PM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Please tell me that by working on the frame you mean painting and replacing bushings and suspension parts that wear.

A convertible relies upon a strong frame. That is why a convertible frame uses thicker metal, and has a deeper draw than a sedan or hard top frame. This is in addition to the central "X" brace that is riveted in place.

If you have a rusted out frame that you have been patching up I would consider buying a used replacement frame out of a desert junk yard. You really don't want the car to break in half when you open the doors. Of course Sacramento is bone dry and they don't salt the roads to get a lot of rust if your car was born and grew up in SoCal.

Big Dave
My 66 vert is supposed to have an X brace??!!? Dammit, I don't remember seeing one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

My vert frame has no x brace and I don’t recall seeing them other 65/66 vert frames either. Maybe I’m not clear on what that is.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 AM

There is no X-Brace on '65-'66 Convertible Frames.
BA. likes this.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Garage
Welcome to the team. I'm looking forward to updates on your project.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I’ll try to post plenty of pictures. The body is going out next week for full floors and 2 quarters. After that I’m hope the project will pick up the pace....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page