Wheel,tire and suspension question - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Wheel,tire and suspension question

I have a 65 Impala 2 door and am planning to convert to a front disc brake system. I see you can buy stock height or 2"drop. Does anybody have a picture of their car with the 2"drop that I can see? Am I supposed to lower the rear if I go with a drop in the front? If so, how do I achieve this, springs? Also, any advice on a wheel and tire size package that will work on this car? I was thinking about 17"s up front and 18 in the rear. If I do the 2" drop I don't want to rub. Any photos of a 65 with this type of package would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:27 PM

A dropped spindle will work depending upon the offset of the wheel and back spacing.

On some larger diameter wheels the rims hit the suspension components (such as tie rod ends and the A-arm. You have to measure your clearances to know what will clear with the wheels moved up and down to follow suspension travel and side to side as it goes up and down to reflect cornering forces. The only way you can do this is with the spring out of the car (to install a dropped spindle you have to be carefull it doesn't come out and kill you anyway), and a tool like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PH...5&autoview=sku

The advantage of a dropped spindle is it leaves your steering geometry just the way the factory intended it to be so it will not affect handling or ride quality. If you install a lowering spring in the front you shorten suspension travel which will affect handling.

In the rear a lowering spring is not as big a factor as the factory built in extra travel to compensate for lugage in the trunk (of course if you carry a lot of luggage using your car for an airport limo to pay the restoration bills you could have problems). Without measuring your tire and wheel clearances you will not know if it going to rub on a corner until it is too late to return the tires and wheels.

The only other option I can think of is a rental store. Not for the tool, but the big tires and wheels. In Tampa there is a store in the same area of town where you go to buy your drugs and find prostitutes (yo don't need to axe nobody, thay offer drive up service right in da streets) that will rent you big tires and wheels by the day or week (for that big pimp convention you have to attend). Of course even with that rental store if you scrape a side wall on the tire or gouge out a chunk of wheel you bought them, and they sell at list price plus 50% because they have all been pretested for your safety.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:06 PM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
......The advantage of a dropped spindle is it leaves your steering geometry just the way the factory intended it to be
cracks me up that you say that as a 'good thing'. (jab jab, poke poke)
Good for weekend cruise-ins but when financially possible I'd always vote for some kind of upgrading.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page