1967 Impala SS 427 Convertible - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Question 1967 Impala SS 427 Convertible

Hello I am new forum member. I purchased a Canadian Oshawa built 1967 Impala SS 427 Convertible this weekend missing engine and trans but the car has been documented with buildsheet. After studying the car closer GM Canada did not code the vehicle as a Z24. I noticed the Impala also has the same "Impala SS" bading as a 396 or 327 car. This vehicle also has quite a few options including power driver bucket seat, power windows, tilt, remote mirror, speed warning, bumper guards. Does anyone else know of a member with a Canadian built 1967 427 Impala. According to the letter I was provided by GM Canada there were only 43 Impala SS and Pontiac Parisienne 2+2 convertibles built with the L36 engine in 1967.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 AM

Welcome to the site. I am sure someone at this site might be able to answer you question as they dedicated to the 67-68 and 69 427 SS. http://www.impalass427.com/ Wow one of 43 that would be great. I love the 67 427 SS. Good luck in finding the engine. I am sure a date coded engine goes for a premium.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 AM
BA.

a 67 Vert big block is my dream Impala! congrats on the ownership and welcome to the site.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM

While it is true that not all plants used the "4D" stamping on the trim tag to denote the Z24 option, I am not aware of any that did not list it as such on the build sheet. My initial impression then is that the car was a standard SS with the 427 option as I cannot imagine a real Z24 without the correct exterior trim. Paul is correct: Get over to the www.impalass427.com website.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Welcome to the Team Jeff!

GM of Canada used a lot of American sheet metal and parts that were made in and around Detriot (including Windsor Canada) but it is still a Canadian product. They had a different build sheet with parts that GM of Canada chose to use so there will be differences beween an American car and a Canadian car (and this is not a bad thing as the Canadian motors all were cast out of high nickel content grey iron and as such were stronger than American made parts that only used that material for truck blocks).

An example of a change on trim on a Canadian car is the Chevy II called an Arcadian in Canada as it had a Pontiac split grill front end on it.

Big Dave
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

1967 Impala SS Canadian

Thanks for your insight and yes you are correct on the Acadian/Nova and Chevelle/Beaumont. I am still hoping to find someone who also owns a Canadian impala 427 hartop or convertible that has been relatively untouched to make sure I restore my car correctly.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

My quick impression is the vehicle was baged same as the 396 car and may have had turbo jet 427 emblems on the fenders initially.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
BA.

Did Canada use Identification Numbers on the motors in 1966? I'm just curious as we did not here in the U.S. We only have "date coding" to go by in 66 where we find drivetrain parts that are near the same build month/week.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes my build sheet states the engine suffix was T1208IE
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Did Canada use Identification Numbers on the motors in 1966? I'm just curious as we did not here in the U.S. We only have "date coding" to go by in 66 where we find drivetrain parts that are near the same build month/week.
Yes the Canadian goverment reqiured stamping of partial VIN's on parts and complete record keepinng on every car made so you can get all of your missing documentation from GM of Canada (for a fee of $200 CDN) telling you everything about your car up til it was sold to the first owner.

GM used a different set of Assembly manuals and Fisher Body Repair manuals, as they made cars of a different flavor but the casting numbers are the same as they shared the drawings and tooling with GM in Amaerica so if you need one of these books here is one source for them.

http://www.harmons.com/subcatlist.aspx?cat=15

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page