New member with a new blog! - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

New member with a new blog!

Hey everyone,

Been prowling around these forums for awhile now and am already putting some of the great advice here to use. So I just wanted to take a quick minute to invite you to check out my new blog. As car enthusiasts I figured you might get a kick out of following along with our less than conventional restoration we affectionately call The Impala Project.

From our “What is The Impala Project? Section:
“Remember that time is money.” – Benjamin Franklin (1748)
This quote from one of our founding fathers pretty much sums up one of two main themes for this project. How many of us have thought, one day when I have the money, I’m gonna buy an old car and either fix it up or pay someone else to?
One day, when I have the money…
Well what if you had the ability to substitute money for your own time? By doing as many things as possible by yourself, you may not have to wait until retirement to rebuild that old mustang you’ve been eyeing.
There’s only one problem with this in my case, and in it lays the second and most important theme of this blog. I have ZERO mechanical knowledge or skill. I grew up in San Diego, the son of two thoroughly white-collar intellectual parents. My skills have always lie more in the internet than the garage. In spite of, or maybe because of this I have always envied those craftsman who are able to take something dull or useless and transform it into something functional or beautiful.
But what if I could use those internet skills and research skills to teach myself a skill? What if all those how-to books sitting in the bookstore could actually teach me how to do something I’ve always wanted to do?
And that my friends is the goal of the Impala Project, to take a rust bucket of a car, pulled from the Nevada desert and attempt, to rebuild it from the ground up. Along the way, we’ll rely on books, YouTube, classic car forums and the kindness of those more knowledgeable than myself to find our way.
Is it even possible? We’ll see.

If it sounds even a little fun, come check things out at www.theimpalaproject.com

By all means, please feel free to contact me with any thoughts or questions.

Cheers!

The Impala Project

P.S. Be sure to check out the first link in the "Research Resources" section!

Come see what happens when someone with absolutely no experience attempts to restore a 1967 Impala.

www.theimpalaproject.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 AM

Welcome to the Team Quigley!

Good attitude. I taught myself all of my skills except learning how to operate machine tools. After five years and thousands of dollars in trail and error I read a book on "How to Hot Rod the Big Block Chevy", and was amazed at how much the two authors knew about building the BBC. They knew everything I knew and I could have learned it for $20 bucks instead of thousands. That said I would recommend enrolling in an adult education class taught at your local high school (night school) and learn basic automotive tech and welding (if nothing else it could save a lot of UV exposure to your eyes and skin that I was exposed to learning on my own). It will be cheaper in both time and money in the long run.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:35 AM

Welcome Quigley. Everyone learns from experience, And your about to be educated in auto preservation by taking on a 4 door car to restore. You will find that almost everything behind the front fenders shares nothing with a 2 door car body of the same year, make and model.
Most catalogs offer parts for 2 door cars ,you will find very little in the aftermarket offering body parts or products geared towards restoring a 4 door body.
As for the frame and suspension,you will be surprised that everything interchanges with a 2 door, a 4 door and a station wagon from not only a 1967 Impala but up to 1970 Impala.
I know what you are going to go through as I am currently restoring a 1965 Impala Station wagon of which no one makes replacement body panels or trim for either.
Your car being a western car should be fairly rust free. So hopefully you wont need major body or frame repair.
Good luck and keep us informed.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 PM

Welcome! Don't forget to add some pics to your profile...

' 61 Impala Sports Coupe
Visit my blog:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2764
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Carlos I took your advice and posted some pictures on my profile of the bucket as I acquired it.

For more of them feel free to head over to the photo section of the blog.

http://theimpalaproject.com/photos/

Come see what happens when someone with absolutely no experience attempts to restore a 1967 Impala.

www.theimpalaproject.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Looks like a great project. Good Luck!

' 61 Impala Sports Coupe
Visit my blog:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2764
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 PM

I have a good 67' 4 door just begging for parts to be taken off!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Don't have ton of money for parts at the moment but will definitely be in need. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance with photos or any details you've got so I can take a look!

www.theimpalaproject.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page