Matching numbers 64? - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Matching numbers 64?

Hi everyone I seen a similar thread about marching numbers however I only do body work,engines and transmissons I have yet to learn about. A matching number car would be correct badges,int,paint to code. That I know where I get lost is the talk of castin numbers and stuff like that. I read the thread about casting numbers and didn't understand it. So how do you locate a engine and transmission number man without going to say a shop I want to learn not engine repair but like the history. I want to see if the numbers are the ones from that year or the one that was put in. For all I know the motor was from the late 60s and not stock any details and keep them dumbed down a bit. As far as body work I'm good I know how to do that but motors i don't understand yet I'm young thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Not sure if ss motors are diffrent I couldn't find the code this my 1st 6four and I don't know where the engine numbers are. I saw on my transmission it said powerglide I'm younger to let these guys that know stuff teach ya. Good luck and keep looking brother
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Everything that was made by, or purchased by GM, has a casting number and a date code (it also had a temporary chalk or paint color code to let the assemblers know what part to use without actually picking up the part and having to read the casting number before using them). These numbers where required by GM for not only inventory control, but quality assurance.

Hobbiest noted this and define a numbers matching car to be the exact same part that the factory put in the car; or if it has a replacement anything the part that was used to replace the original has the exact same casting numbers and date code. There are books and web sites devoted to this subject as to identifying what your casting numbers should be, your application code denotiong whether it is the base motor, or an upgraded motor (as every car restored is a SS, with the biggest motor offered, as no one wants just the base engine), and the date codes decoded.

Some obses about this others couldn't care a flip what came from the factory and build their cars their way (back in the fifties they took this philosophy to the extreame building fantastic futuristic 1950 to early 60 looking cars that could only come from ther late fifties or early sixties when people though future cars would fly or have a built in home audio system in them). These cars were called lead sleds and most still exist, parked behind barns or out in front of bars in Mexico.

Big Dave

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 PM

I'm really into trying to have a factory matched car I understand it's hard as motors gave out and others were put in. Mine looks to be stock but I can't find a date code or a casting number. The transmision looks the part and everything else is matching numbers. The engine however I have no clue looks 327 like but I can't find the code I'm not a engine freak I know the basics. I can't belive I can't find 2 stamps on a clean orange motor don't get it. To the other dude mine a ss you didn't specify not sure if the codes would be in the same location or your as determined as me to find them so post and where ya located?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Every casting has the numbers cast in the same place. You need a book or check out the many online sites Nastyz28.com which ahs a list of block casting numbers and explains about date codes.

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php

Big Dave
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 PM

It says after 70 where the location is but pre 68 I'm confused is it on passenger side toward the front behind the alternator on a 327 for a ss? I understood what they were saying for after 70 where the locations were.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 AM

The Casting numbers are on the back top of the block by the firewall. They should be ending like 870. The suffix code is on the flat out cut below the head on the front of the block passenger side. Suffix C, CB, D are 283 engines. R, S are 250/327 Manual and PG. RB and SB are 300/327 Manual and PG. The suffix will read like T0420SB. Trans to Tonowanda April 20, 300hp/327 w/ PG. XE code is 300HP service engine.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 AM

There is no difference between motors in an ss or non ss. they only changed trim and chrome packages on the cars and gave the SS the 14 designation(v8). If you have a true SS with V8 the start of the cowl tag or vin will start 4 1447. 4 Year, 14 SS V8, 47 HDT. 4 1847 = 4 Year 18 Impala V8, 47 HDT. The vin or cowl will only verify SS/Impala and V8/V6. CID is not know unless you have buildsheet V8 could be 283, 2x327, 3x409.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:01 PM

I seen a stamp by the oil filter drivers side bottom hard to read I think it says 010 020 146 or the 6 could be a 8 they were 9 numbers total it looked nothing I can find on the front yet. Transmission says powerglide on right passenger side
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Maybe you don't have a chevy motor that's why you don't see them I can't find mine I'm thinking the same.?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 PM

If it is stamped (not cast into the block) that implies it is a 1969 or later block as after 1968 when they moved the alternator from the drivers side to the passenger side it obstructed the identification pad on the front of the block so the application codes were also stamped on the back of the block by the oil filter so the auto techs could find it easily.

Big Dave
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

What would be different cast or stamped how can you tell if it's a stamp or a cast by look or feel? Sounds like you got lied to who know what engine you have in there man sucks. Still looking for mines btw ha
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 AM

A cast number is raised up and large in size. A stamped number is incised (punched into the metal) and they used an eighth inch tall die to stamp all of the numbers and letters by hand into every block twice (once on the engine identification pad and agin on the back of the block.

Big Dave
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:26 PM

I really wanted a matching number car everything was unti this point. To me having the stock engine is history. Now who knows what I have in there something 69 and up that's what I don't want. The numbers I run my hands on there you can feel them by the oil filter. There 3 across and a total of 9. 3 rows of numbers. The alternator is on the passenger side to. So that means I have a swap motor in there I get parts for it how am I going to know what it is. I have a 79 f150 4x4 I thought it had a 79 302 no pars lined up found out it was a 81 302 so this is bad news in a few ways...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:18 PM

How do I find out what engine I have ?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964impala View Post
How do I find out what engine I have ?
The casting numbers will tell you the size and type block you have, same for the heads. The date codes tell you what year, month and week the part was cast. The application code (twop or three letters stamped at the end of the build information tell you what it was in terms of horsepower and transmission attached.

Big Dave
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 PM

The only numbers I can find are the ones by the oil filter and the alternator is on passenger side that means after 68 right? I don't see any letters etc on the heads wouldn't mind knowing what engine I have in here if some body just threw whatever in here I dunno want to know though.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964impala View Post
The only numbers I can find are the ones by the oil filter and the alternator is on passenger side that means after 68 right? I don't see any letters etc on the heads wouldn't mind knowing what engine I have in here if some body just threw whatever in here I dunno want to know though.
All engines made from 1955 to date have numbers stamped upon the engine identification pad on the front of the engine. Cast numbers for the block are on the back of the block. On the heads they are under the valve covers. There are more sites that have information on casting numbers than I would imagine, but people love to post them, so they are easy to find.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page