1965 Impala 2dr Hardtop - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

1965 Impala 2dr Hardtop

HI Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have a question that has been puzzling me for some time.

I bought a 1965 Impala 2dr Hardtop and was given what is supposedly a convertible frame with the purchase.

I stripped the car down and before comparing the two frames I sold the original frame for junk metal.

I need to know if I will have a problem mounting the hardtop body to the convertible frame??

Also, how do I know if I really was given a convertible frame or not??

Mikey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:38 PM

welcome to the Team Michael!

Convertible frame was formed out of heavier gauge metal than a sedan frame was and weighs more because of it. It also has an extra cross member in the back of the frame around the area were the top mechanism bolts up. The frame has to be strong enough to keep the car from snapping in two as the body offers no support at all and is about only eight inches thick with both doors open and the top down.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Pictures would definitely help in putting an ID on your piece wether it's a convertible frame or not.

Welcome to the site!!

One part at a time.

'65 Super Sport 327.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM

I have a 65 convertible and have disassembled several 65 Impala's I can tell no difference between a convertible and hardtop frame. The convertible uses the two body mounts behind the rear axle where the others don't. The holes are there in all the frames. I have heard that convertibles, caprices, and 66's have heaver frames. Why would GM build two frames for the same car? They all look alike to me. I have a 65 hardtop rolling frame in the barn right now. Let me know if you need photos

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 PM

They build a heavier frame because if they didn't the car would bend in two at the mid pint as there isn't anything other than the frame holding up the car. A half ton trame looks just like a 3/4 ton frame as well (all the same holes and body mounts), but it is stamped out of a heavier gauge steel to handle the added load it has to carry (compare one side by side as to the thickness of the metal and you will see the difference).

A car body (even a hard top) offers added rigidity. Racers use sedans (not hard tops or convertibles) because the car weight is the least for the strongest car body. They need a rigid body that is light weight as every pound slows it down and a flexing frame can not plant the tires.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page