New guy 66 SS Hardtop Australia - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

New guy 66 SS Hardtop Australia

Hey All,

Just found this site.

I just got my 66 SS Hardtop over from the states and am starting the resto. Its a bit of a rough old bit of gear but its all there and it's a California car with no bad rust. Don't get me wrong, it's a full bare metal job required but the rust is only on the surface, none in the chassis and so on.

By superdoopersport at 2010-09-28

Anyway, looking forward to talking to people about... stuff... Impala stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 AM
BA.

Nice acquisition mate.

I see some hot-rod wheels there too? Did you get any go-fast goodies? Is she a big block or a small block.

welcome to the site.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:08 AM

If you have questions or need reference photos or video just email me. I have a White 66 SS 396 BigBlock with a 4 speed.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

BA

It's got the original 327 and power glide. I'll probably keep the 327 and mess around with it but stick a different gearbox in it. I have got a tremec 5 speed but I'll probably end up putting an auto back in it.

I haven't got any go fast goodies yet, but I see a nice pair of heads on ebay.

Bex66

Thanks heaps, that would be great!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:17 AM

Welcome to the Team Alex!

Nice car. Good luck on your build.

Big Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 AM

Welcome Alex. Looks like you have a good solid car to rebuild.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 AM

Nice one!!!

I got a T-5 on my 327 too. Haven't seen that much road yet because it's pretty much apart, but what I could tell from it was very fun. I might want to put an auto back in it at some point, but right now I'll take it out with the manual.

Is your car a runner?

One part at a time.

'65 Super Sport 327.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcruiser65 View Post
Nice one!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcruiser65 View Post

I got a T-5 on my 327 too. Haven't seen that much road yet because it's pretty much apart, but what I could tell from it was very fun. I might want to put an auto back in it at some point, but right now I'll take it out with the manual.

Is your car a runner?
Be real careful with your tranny. The transmission was designed by Borg Warner for Ford to put behind their Pinto four banger. (Pinto was a sub compact that weighed just over a ton with the driver and a full fuel tank that doubled as a fire bomb). The same tranny was then reworked removing the brass bushing found in the early trannys rated for 80 horsepower to use ball bearings (not roller bearings which spread the load out over a greater area but cost more to make) and was rechristened the WC or World Class T-5 transmission and used with V-6 flame breathers as it was now rated at 110 horse power. It was used in the Mustang II fox body (a car weighing 3200 pounds soaking wet) behind their 302 smog motor and their V-6 power houses. It was adopted by Chevy for two years behind the 305in the feather weight Camaro third generation body; but dropped for the reason of the 305 having far too much torque which was breaking the tranny far too frequently for GM's bean counters.

A similar gutless wonder to avoid if you find one is the Getrag five speed manual box designed to be used behind a 2.4 liter C class Mercedes Benz four cylinder diesel and 2.3 liter gas engines.

Big Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 AM

I'm actually looking for a stronger 5 speed at the moment.

I would hate to deviate the thread, but care to recommend good transmissions that would not be too hard to swap?

The T-5 will work but I'd like to drive my car without worrying about a flimsy transmission.

One part at a time.

'65 Super Sport 327.

Last edited by Nightcruiser65; 10-05-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: sorry about thread sidetracking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page