Hello Everyone! 1972 Impala Custom - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Hello Everyone! 1972 Impala Custom

Been lurking for a short while. I have a 72 Impala Custom that I hope to have on the road next spring. My dream car was a 1967 Impala but couldn't find one around here. Next choice was a 1954 chevy but due to some health problems was unable to drive it. SO this is my ride. I really prefer older and at some point hope to go back to something older but I'm willing to make the best of this one while I can. Might even grow on me.

I haven't done anything to it other then have the bumpers and header panel put on. I'm finding that I'm going to have to redo all of that though. I'd like a non chrome header panel and from what I'm looking at in one of my books there is a ground wire that was supposed to be attached to some support where the license plate goes. So I'll be pulling off the back bumper for that. Might as well try and seal all that up back there as I think I'm missing some type of gaskets/ weather stripping.

Hope to get some decent wheels and a straight hood as well. Needs lots of body work. Something on just about every body panel. But that's an opportunity to learn some body work.

The major thing I'll be doing first is finding out what tilt steering will fit. Need that first! My prosthetic leg catches on the non tilt while getting out of the car.

So on the the question and answer sections!

Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_resizepimpzillaside.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1344  

Last edited by Pimpzilla; 10-02-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Pic added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 AM

Welcome to the Team David!

Many steering columns are interchangeable across a wide number of GM vhehicles. You may have to rebuild it as the tilt mechanism works loose with age, especially if the driver had a habit of pulling on the steering wheel to move themselves about while trying to get comffy in the seat. Need to chase down the Hollander interchange for your car and check availability on line.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Just to make sure I'm on the same page. Is that the manual that's $150.00 ? I was looking on the Hollander website. Would definitely come in handy. Bad timing for me getting it right now. I'll shoot for soon though. I just hope it covers the 72 well. I seem to be running into lots of parts being made for before and after 72 but 72 being skipped all together. I didn't pick one of the most popular years for sure!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 AM

I use to own a 72 the same color combination as yours. It was a great car. I would guess a column from 71-74 would interchange.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I use to own a 72 the same color combination as yours. It was a great car. I would guess a column from 71-74 would interchange.
But not just out of a Chevrolet. Pontiac, Olds, Buick and Cadillac all used the same parts. (Only difference between a caddy and a chevy is 14 inches of sheet metal added to the body from the back of the front seat to the front of the back seat in the floor foot well; well that and the trim pieces. Otherwise it is the same car physically).

Big Dave
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to Heartofthacity
7Deuces

Hey Zilla, 72s are one of my favorite years after 68 & 67s. I used to have a 72 caprice the same color(minus that chrome nose lol). I have parts for your 72 if you are interested PM me. I have that header panel and also some stock rims and hubcaps. I think I have a tilt steering column too that's brown... Lemme know
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 AM

Those chrome header panels were popular several years ago. Some guys just had to chrome plate everything. A cowl induction hood would look nice on your 72, but it would have to be fabricated up.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Those chrome header panels were popular several years ago. Some guys just had to chrome plate everything. A cowl induction hood would look nice on your 72, but it would have to be fabricated up.

True! We still have some Donks running around here. They're just not for me.

That would look sharp! I wish I had the talent to draw. I'd draw a side shot of my 72 then play with different wheels, flames ...etc until I figured out how I wanted to go with it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpzilla View Post
True! We still have some Donks running around here. They're just not for me.

That would look sharp! I wish I had the talent to draw. I'd draw a side shot of my 72 then play with different wheels, flames ...etc until I figured out how I wanted to go with it.
Most of the major players that sell wheels on their web sites often have a little app that lets you pick your car, year, make, and color, and then they will stick an immage of their wheel under the car for you to get an idea of what they look like before you buy. I have even seen the same type of app that will allow you to pick your ride height for a lowered or raised look as well; just can't remeber where I saw it.

Big Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 04:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Heartofthacity
www.newstalgiawheel.com but they dont have your 72 on there..they do have your 67 tho lol !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page