65 SS rescue - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

65 SS rescue

Hi guys, my name is Gordon, I have a 65 SS 396 that I rescued from a lowrider a couple of years ago. I now have the time to actually start working on it, but I have a couple of questions.
The car had hydraulics on it, I took them off and it is on jack stands in my shop. I have a friend who scraps cars for parts and he gave me a rolling frame from a 66 impala sedan, are the frames interchangable? I didn't want to pass it up and let him crush it if they were so I didn't bother checking first. Also , is moving the body onto a new frame going to be extremely tricky? I've done lots and lots of bodywork, suspension, etc, but I have never taken anything off of a frame.
I think this will be worth while if the frames are interchangable because I can clean this frame up and get a nice rolling chassis together as my starting point.
Other than the hyraulics, the only other part that kills me to see is the royal blue diamond pattern headliner with yellow buttons! The body is very straight, needs floor pans, and a few minor details. I look forward to bugging you guys with more experience than me. I'm 27 and this has been my dream car since I was 14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Glad you're saving it

I've done a couple frame swaps before, I think it's fun. It's VERY helpful to have a lift, but several buddies would work just as well I suppose.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 AM

Yes the frame is perfect. Make sure it is solid and repair as necessary

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the frame is in really good condition, thats a relief that it will work. Is there any good place to get bushings and ball joints, or will moog from orielly's be just as good as any for a stock ride?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 AM

Any pics?

' 61 Impala Sports Coupe
Visit my blog:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2764
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Depending what grade you want and how much money you want to spend. I got all my suspension bushings and front components from Rock-Auto. There was a huge difference in ride quality once I have replaced the aged old bushings. Napa was a lot more expensive than Rock-Auto when I was comparing prices.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM
BA.

Welcome to the site Gordon,

I like Rock Auto too and I tried them based upon Alex's experience. I like them.

X2 on the Pictures if you have any!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 PM

The 66 frame is a direct swap for your 65. You might consider a disc brake up grade while your rebuilding the front end.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
The 66 frame is a direct swap for your 65. You might consider a disc brake up grade while your rebuilding the front end.
68' is a direct fit right? is there any others that fit with just swapping the spindle?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 PM

If you can find a good convertible frame it would be a lot stronger (it is fully boxed and has an added cross member at the rear hump. Your car should be able to use parts from a 1965-'68 as 1969-70 had issues dealing with brakes that affected the front suspension).1

1968 Convertible for sale

Big Dave
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Here is the only pic I have on this computer right now from a car show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65ss.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1480  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Welcome Gordon, I'm glad you got the chance to save this one! I also saved a convertable from bags and diamond tuck interior etc..... it's just not my taste.
My personal advice is to try to do all the floor pan work etc.. before you lift it off the body to keep it somewhat level. And as B.Dave said it would be good if you have a convert. frame to start with. Either way it will be fun, as I learned as I went along with my frame off resto.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 08:05 PM

You can put a 65-70 frame under your 65. The convertibles have a heavier side frame along and under the doors. They also have a shorter trans cross member because of this than in the other Impala's. So if you get a convertible frame be sure to get the trans cross member. Convertibles also have 2 extra body mounts that the others didn't. The 67-70 frames had a different idler arm set up but will work fine. If you go with a later frame try to find one with factory disc brakes.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page