'71 Impala Four Door - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

'71 Impala Four Door

Well im new to the site as well as certain aspects of restoration. Ive got a 71 Four Door Impala that has some front end damage the driverside inner and outer fender and most of the front end needs replaced (much of it is to mangled to straighten). Was hoping to mabey get some suggestions on where to possibly find the body parts im looking for possibly a gas tank (or a sugestion for repair) as well its leaking at the base of the fill neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 PM

Welcome to the web site Jason. There is a impound yard here that has a 71 in it, but the pass side fender is bad and I realy didn't pay that much attention to it. I took a photo of it. They do sell parts but most of the time you have to remove them yourself. I would think Dayton, Ohio would be a bit far for you. Maybe there is a yard that has older cars near you. Fuel tanks can be repaired. Some radiator shops repair fuel tanks. I know they did here.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:45 PM

As for the gas tank take it to a radiator shop they can repair it. On the fender e-bay is your best bet. Don't get a 72 fender as I did had to cut off the front mounting on the old and weld it to the new. The books say 71 72 are the same not true as far as the front fender extension mounting also had some issues with lining it up too.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Hey I never thought of checking with the radiator shops, thanks. Yeah most of the yards here have scraped most of the 70's era cars in favor of keeping the newer cars and trucks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save_Them_Not_Crush_Them View Post
Hey I never thought of checking with the radiator shops, thanks. Yeah most of the yards here have scraped most of the 70's era cars in favor of keeping the newer cars and trucks.
It's not in favor of keeping the newer cars the price of scrap metal went up a few years back and the weight of the older cars made them $$$$$ so they crushed the oldies I seen so many old 70's Chevy's with great parts go to the crusher before I got my 4 door.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 AM

Here's the photo of the one in the impound yard.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69

Last edited by dadstoy; 04-14-2011 at 04:44 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 10:52 PM

Welcome to the Team Jason!

The big Chevys ran in series where they shared a lot of common parts. In your case it is the 1971 through 1976 model years where you can find interchangeable parts. Everything in frront of the fire wall will be the same year to year but behind the fire wall things like doors and sheet metal differed by model (two door, four door, or coupe or hard-top/convertible, and the station wagon having different parts from each other). Suspension and power train was all the same and except for the wagon even the gas tank should be the same.

Big Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to Heartofthacity
Hey crush send me pics of your car and let me know what parts you need. I have some stashed away over here and Montana isn't all that far from Seattle
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Welcome to the Team Jason!

The big Chevys ran in series where they shared a lot of common parts. In your case it is the 1971 through 1976 model years where you can find interchangeable parts. Everything in frront of the fire wall will be the same year to year but behind the fire wall things like doors and sheet metal differed by model (two door, four door, or coupe or hard-top/convertible, and the station wagon having different parts from each other). Suspension and power train was all the same and except for the wagon even the gas tank should be the same.

Big Dave
Hollander shows front fenders as being different for almost every year
of the 71-76 generation - i.e. 71-72?, 73, 74 and 75-76. Know that they
placed hydraulic pistons for the federal bumpers for either 72 or 73 model
year. Am referencing a paper 1976 edition (42nd Ed) not the newer
computerized version, which has little to no coverage prior to 1980.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 PM

Welcome to the site !!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 PM

1973 was the infamous five miles per hour impact test with no bady damage. In 1974 it was reduced to 2.5 mph impact testing because people where getting hurt in the solid bumper cars with no give or crush zones built into the car.

All sheet metal and trim changes with any style changes but everything under the sheet metal should be the same year to year. Best source of parts is another vehicle just like you have, but if you have a two door hard top and all you can find is a four door for your same year the fenders and everything forward of the fire wall is the same. Aft of that some parts work others do not.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page