Hello - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Cool Hello

Hello from WI, My Name is Belinda and an owner for the past 11 years of a 1966 Impala Convertible. This past year I have been puzzled about my interior of my car and hoping that someone here can help solve the mystery. My interior code is 859-A, but no one has any information on this code. I have spoke with some of the people who use to work at the Janesville plant where my car was built and told me it may have been a test car (where they would test different color interiors with different extior colors).

I am hoping to learn a great deal in here and hopefully help me in the future as I would love to own a 1959 Impala Convertible.

Thank you and looking forward to chatting with you.

Last edited by Chevy_Lady; 12-03-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: decided that it was not a good idea to list the town I live in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 PM

I looked in my book "Chevrolet by the Numbers" which has a chart for "all" of those codes, and I do not find an 859 in '66. There are some combos that are "---" which I take to mean that they did not use that combo of interior and exterior color. Do you know what the original interior and exterior colors are? And what the model number is? (also on the trim tag).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Welcome to the team Belinda!

I have the same books as David, so I am no help.

Big Dave

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Cool Cowl Tag

Thanks for checking, but you are getting the same thing that I have found every where. The original interior color is gold right down to the dash pad, convertible boot, kick panels, steering column and dash are all "GOLD". The boot is dated "12 65 TEX" and the exterior is Cameo Beige.
Here are my cowl tag numbers with what I have learned so far.
O5C (Built May, 3rd week)
66-16467 Jan 3504 ('66-Impala 8cyl-2 door convertible-Janesville)
(sure of the number 3504)
859-A V-6 (the 859-A is a mystery) (V-6 = Cameo Beige)
W2M (unknown)
5Y (unknown - but I think it is for Premium Seatbelts)

Hope this gives you a little more to go on. I am unsure which number is for the color of my top.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 PM

No gold interior listed in my book. There is a Bronze listed for the Caprice, but not Impala The Bronze could be paired with the cameo Beige as code 891 on a model number 16647. Sounds like you got something special there.

Since Alan's book is considered the most comprehensive out there, he may be interested in your information. I found this contact info with a bit of searching:

http://www.manta.com/c/mtt2s60/colvin-media-group-inc

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Another one

Years ago shortly after I bought my car, I met a gentleman from PA that says he has the twin to my car, but only with the 283 in it. Him & his wife had pictures taken with my car so they could try to tell people that he took his car to WI. My car was built in WI and his was built in DE. I am currently waiting for him to get back to me with his cowl tag information.
It is strange that they only produced a hand full of Impalas with this color combination in 1966, but came out with the gold interior for 1967. It seems that the guys that I spoke with in Oct. at a Janesville car show, told me about making test cars with different color interiors to see what they would look like before they put it in production, they believe mine was one of them.
I never thought of it back then, but I had 2 gentleman looking at my car at a Janesville car show and told me that they put the top on my car and that it was a pain due to it being special ordered. I wish I could find those guys again and talk with them now that I am looking for answers.
There has to be someone in Detroit that has to have some anwers to my questions, but how do you get to talk with them. Someone in Detroit must have been at the Janesville plant before they closed it.

Last edited by Chevy_Lady; 12-03-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added to my post
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM

The -A I am guessing means your car is a bench seat, vinyl interior since it is a convertible. Probably an automatic that is shifted on the Steering Column. 5Y is deluxe seatbelts.

Last edited by wogman75; 12-04-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

You are correct with all your information. I am currently trying to find pictures that I have taken of the interior, but so far I am unable to locate them. I have an album started with pictures that show the interior as best as I can right now. Thank you for the additional information.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 PM

I wonder if this car was built for one of the GM executives,thats what it sounds like to me
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 AM

Welcome Belinda! I'm not much help either but it sounds like you have a mystery on your hands. Everyone likes a good mystery.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 PM

Belinda,
W2M is for a tinted windshield and your automatic powerglide transmission.
Another interesting code on your car is the V6
The V is for your exterior color (camio Beige) but the 6 is the color of your convertible top. Is your top original and what color is it?

Warren may be able to decipher your interior code. I'll send him an E-mail to take a look.

A picture of your trim tag would help.

Good Luck

Should post this in the "Tag Team" thread and it will get more responses.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Welcome aboard. Do you need to repair replace your interior or just trying to figure it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page