Seat Help - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
UK1

Seat Help

I have been restoring a 65 Belair 2 door post. I am now to the interior portion and have a question about the seats. I have found a front seat to recover but I am having a problem locating a rear seat. Can anyone tell me what year makes and models will interchnage with my car.
Oh by the way I am new to this site and have been very impressed with the level of knowledge everyone has.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 06:38 PM

Welcome to the Team Tom!

You should be able to use the seats out of a 1965-'70 Impala, Caprice, Bel Air, Estate Wagon from any two door car. The four door rear and front seats are different and will not fit right. You are going to want to match your fabric to what ever trim level you have on your car (different models offered different fabrics and patterns.

That said; if you are going to recover the seats with new fabric then you can grab a set of seats out of not only the Chevrolet cars I mentioned but look at Pontiac, Olds, Buick, and Cadillac cars for a similar or upgraded your seat to a higher quality interior (with power seats, or split bench with dual arm rests, or reclining five way power bucket seats out of a Caddy). The diferent marquees all have the same front floor pan and rear seat floor pan area (though the Caddy has 11 more inches of leg room)so they will all bolt in (this assumes you are looking at B-body cars from your year to 1970).

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
UK1

Thanks for the help

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
UK1

I have looked at the rear seat from a 65 hardtop. It seemed different in that the arm rest looked to be part of the side panels. Should my 2 door post car have the same arm rest as the 2 door hard top?
Tom
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:11 PM

Rear seat in a Convertible (and if you wanted to put it in a hard top) is different in that it contains the rear speaker in the seat. Other than level of trim the parts should interchange though as you point out the trim level is physically different and noticeable to some one familiar with the car.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Hardtop and convertible seat bottoms are narrow because of the rear arm rests, tops are shorter as the roofline is lower
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Your 2 door post car didn't come with the same rear side arm rest that a 2 door Impala has. Yours has a arm rest simular to the one on the front door. Your rear seat will be longer than a Impala rear seat and won't have the rear speaker. I have also heard that a convertible rear seat is narrower than a 2 door Impala rear seat. So I would say you may be looking for a 4 door rear seat as it is the longest.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page