New to the site 72 impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

New to the site 72 impala

Hi everyone. My name is Kev, I own a 72 impala 4 door that I picked up for a couple hundred bucks. I bought it from a salvation army. Car had a real bad interior and the outside was decent. Recently my woman was driving it and blew a head gasket. Car has been sitting since. I started to tear into some body work cause I found a leak near the rear window. I'm currently teaching myself to weld to do the job replacing my rear valance. But if anyone can offer my any websited or tips on rebuilding some body panels or even rebuilding this engine. I got the heads off but realized through some research these are the worst heads ever. I however have a set I took off a old motor at school that I hear are pretty good to rebuild. So anyway , glad to hear from you all. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Welcome! What are the casting numbers on the heads you have?

'69 Impala 4-door hardtop
'70 Impala Custom coupe
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Welcome Kev. That rear valance is a problem on several years of impala's. Its a tough job, but many have done it with the right skills and equipment. As for the engine, have your heads checked at a machine shop.They may be warped and need milling or could be cracked. If they are bad, try to find ones with the same bolt holes for mounting accessories in front. And have them checked before installing them.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Welcome to the Team Kev!

Motors are easy to build and repair if you have a few tools to work on them. (I have three roll around cabinets now and I am thinking of adding a fourth to hold just my hand tools, but that is never enough and I am buying tools all the time.) I recommend reading a few books on engine building and Chevy Small block heads by David Vizard. It will save you money time and aggravation in the long run.

Body work is another mater all together. Ever man I have ever met with hand full of Sear's starter tool box claims to be a mechanic; but few men claim to be a body man or painter. I wish you the best on your body work and if you have a question on your motor ask away. I have been building Chevy motors for nearly fifty years now.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for making me feel so welcomed. @ big dave _ I'm gonna take you up with the questions when i'm ready to tear into the motor. @ ak99_these were on my car 462624. a set of 3947041 and a set of 3932441 that i pulled off a motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page