Help?? - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Help??

a few months back i was having a terrible day there wasn't a single thing going right.. i bumped into a man whom i almost got into it with we ended up talking and he said he was selling his car but that he saw i was a good kid and decided to hand me the keys to his 71' impala with a 350.. its not in the best conditions but i love it! done some research on it but dont know 2 much about it. if any 1 has info please share.. i would highly appreciate it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Welcome to the Team Omar!

What do you want to know?

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

i have about 1,000,000 questions..lol

But mainly about my engine are 350 good engines? whats the best way or where should i start for best throttle response? iv'e seen other cars with a 350 and mine doesn't ride anything like that.. lol i have flowmaster exhaust and edlebrock carb. MSD ignition control module double roller chain a few other smaller things but i don't think im getting as much power as i should..

ALSO, are these not popular models? because i've looked them up and i have only found them to be out in Florida..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 AM

Big B-body cars weigh in at two tons so they are not going to out muscle much with a small block under the hood. I have a little less than 600 cubes in my big block engine stuffed in a four door that appears to be an old taxi cab that sneeks up on a lot of people. But I spent a lot of money on the car where it doesn't show just to be able to do that.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM

A rear end change would give you more pep than anything else. That 350 is a fine engine
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys..

Big Dave- well i'm not trying to make a super fast car i'm just looking to have a cruiser with some horsepower.. dont get me wrong i would love 2 just dont have the money for it at this moment.

Bob- as far as a rear end change, u mean posi-trac? if so where do u suggest i should look for it or what should i be looking for..

u guys will have to excuse me i don't know 2 much but i am looking forward to learning this is my first real project car but will not be my last.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 AM

A posi will move both tires under pressure but without a gear change little to no help. Find out what gears you have in there now then go lower.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I would start with a good tune up, check your fuel and air filter, distributor, wires, etc. Once you know that this is good, I would see how can you increase the HP. Do you have headers?

I have a 1970 wagon with SBC 350 and like Big Dave said, the car weights two tons so it is not a speed demon. Bob is also right, check your rear gear ratio. Mine is setup with 2.59:1 (if I remember correctly) so while the highway speeds are good, it takes a while for the car to keep rolling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page