Impala 67 - Heating/AC - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Impala 67 - Heating/AC

Hi there,

New to this forum, since I've bought a nice Impala 67 Sedan recently. Anyway... Mine hasn't got any heat or AC anymore as the whole lot has been removed from the vehicle at a point in time.

Now I'm looking to restore (at least) the heating system as I drive the vehicle every day and the climate is a bit damp. So heating would be nice to keep the windows from fogging.

Anyone got experience on this behalf? Nothing there between engine waterpump and dash vents. I've noticed the underdash heater core case will probably be the trickiest part (which ones will fit?). Also, the control unit in the dashboard is a comfortron system...

Hope anyone can shed some light. Ow... and i'm in Europe, which makes spare parts a bit harder to find or more expensive to ship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM

Heater cores are readily available over here but to install one requires a lot of work. The Comfortron system was notoriously a problem and I might be concerned that even with a new core whether it could open up the correct doors to make the heater/defroster work. Check first to see if the fan works. Then see if it blows through the defroster vents when supposed to and through the heater vents when supposed to. If it's good, then buy and install a good heter core.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 AM

The way I read this is the Heater - AC box its self is missing. No heater box? The firewall is different between AC and non AC cars and take different units. Is your car left or right hand drive?

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

dadstoy is right... it's missing entirly... So there's not going to be much testing

Nothing under the dash and nothing in the engine compartment. Just a piece of board with a heat seal to close the gap.

It's a left hand drive by the way, original from CA so i guess when the comfortron broke they didn't bother to fix it and threw it all out and use manual air conditioning by rolling down a window .

Anychance of getting some information on the '67 specific heater boxes that are availible? As everything is missing I might as well start from scratch in looking at this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08328.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1627  

Last edited by Demonlama; 01-31-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added question
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Find a heater box out of any 60s GM car . They are simple to remove and wouldn't require a lot of work to install in your car. I removed one from under the dash of a 65 Impala parts car complete with the dash controls. It looks almost the same as the one in my 67 Camaro. Your biggest problem will be the big hole in the firewall.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
I think if you don't need the A/C being in the netherlands, any standard heater unit from a '63 - '68 will fit (assuming as stated above the mounting holes are the same on the firewall). If you don't need the A/C: a standard hot/cold blow-or-don't blow heating system is relatively simple and not hard to install. You'll need the box for the engine side, and the inner heater core box; heater core; and controls from another '67 that will fit into the dash. you should be able to find all of them used and relatively cheap. Let us know if you need more help!

'63 Impala Sedan
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM

I would look at this system as a solution to your problem.

http://www.classicautoair.com/67_Che..._Chevy_AC.html

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Throck
Welcome - I concur with Big Dave. By the time you assemble everything you need to put an old, some what trouble some system in the car you could easily have the classic auto air unit in place. Probably for considerably less too.

68 Impala Sportsroof w/ numbers matching 396/TH400/12 bolt - 53K miles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Agreed with medisalle that I indeed do not need AC inthe Netherlands. The main concern is getting the windows to defog in which AC would be nice but not needed.
Then the stuff which Big Dave pointed at is a good option as well. The only concern here would be shipment to Europe and the high cost involved. Any chance you guys know a European company that supplies the same stuff?

I will at least start searching for an replacement as mentioned by medisalle and dadstoy. If only to get my hands on the original dash controls. For heat only or normal AC cars.

Appreciate the help so far guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
a/c, comfortron, heat, heater core, heating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page