New guy from PA - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

New guy from PA

Just saying hello. Possibly purchasing a '63 Ragtop project this week. While searching around to figure out what it is worth, I stumbled upon this forum. Lots of good info here.

If I end up with this car, I'll be hanging out here a bit for sure!

She has all of the usual rust...lower section of front fenders, rear wheelhouse body mount areas, etc. 6 cylinder/pg trans. Engine is loose, but it hasn't been started in since '99ish. Upholstery and top were done sometime around '97, just before the owner passed away. Unfortunately, the car sat in the driveway under several tarps since then. The rear window broke under the weight of the snow, but the tarps kept the moisture out. Floors are solid. I just need to some up with an offer for the woman that has been hanging on to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Car has V emblems on front fenders but has a 6 under the hood. Looks to have been a very nice car. Needs a red steering wheel. Shame they leave it outside. Car needs a lot of redo but is still very desirable and worth some good money. Convertible is a plus but the 6 cyl engine is a negative. Need to run the numbers to see what was original. I would say 5 to 7 thousand as it sits with it needing a few thousand in repairs. Depending on how much of it you can do yourself.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

It is a 318 VIN. I just learned what to look for on the vin tag rivets to see if it was messed with. When I go back, I will check that out again. I can't see someone pulling a v8 for a 6, but who knows what happened after all these years. The only person that knows a little of the car's history is 6 feet under. I'm going to jack the car up and crawl under it one more time for good measure, just to check out the frame. The floor and trunk pan appear to be solid. The wheelhouse's at the body mount area are trashed.

The back window has been blown out for a while now, but it had a plastic tarp on top of a regular breathable car cover, so I think most moisture stayed on the outside.

She is asking $5000 for this car. She doesn't seem too willing to move on that price. Once I know the frame is solid, I will go for it. She just needs to find the title.....

Last edited by poolmike; 02-10-2011 at 02:32 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
GAWD! That's a pretty car.. even in it's present condition! Let us know if you acquire it! (and if not.. let us know where it IS!) someone may find it worthy of a 2nd look.

Good luck! Keep us posted !

'63 Impala Sedan
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:34 PM

OMG! I just noticed ~ you're from Richboro ! I grew up in Southampton! (next town south) - holy cow! small world!

I've seen this car advertised .. the guys dad passed away - and it's been garaged for a long while... it's WAY worthy of a restoration .. DO let us know if you buy it! And if you do - I'll see ya' around the highways in Bucks County - driving my Aqua '63 sedan this summer! Cheers.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisalle View Post
OMG! I just noticed ~ you're from Richboro ! I grew up in Southampton! (next town south) - holy cow! small world!

I've seen this car advertised .. the guys dad passed away - and it's been garaged for a long while... it's WAY worthy of a restoration .. DO let us know if you buy it! And if you do - I'll see ya' around the highways in Bucks County - driving my Aqua '63 sedan this summer! Cheers.
We have probably met eachother, I drive an old army truck, and a '37 Ford pick up to the local shows and cruises....

It isn't all that nice. It has not seen a garage since at least 1998. I went there to service the pool at that time, right after the owner passed away. It has been in the same spot, under a tarp since then. If I don't buy it, I will pass the info on. She has my deposit, contingent on me seeing a title for the car first. The VIN tag has been spot welded in place, I just want to make sure it matches the title.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Welcome Mike, I regularly visit Bucks Co. If you can get it even if its a little more than you want to spend... get it, and for me I'd clean up the 6 banger and a little tlc, just because it looks like its all there. Then plan to spend the money later....summer is on its way ( even though it don't look like it )!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Oh, it's going to happen....as soon as she produces a title. She might need to apply for a new one. I've been stalking this car for over a decade now. Wish she would have sold it to me in '98!

Thanks for the welcomes!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
BA.

I like it, save that thing man!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
I like it, save that thing man!
Thanks, I hope to obtain it by the weekend.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Welcome to the Team Mike!

Big Dave
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Not looking to good right now. She isn't returning my calls.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM

Welcome, You will probably enjoy this, Make sure you have an hour or so
http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=686

Here is another for sale
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-...item20b71273cd
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

I spent a few hours looking through that thread the other day. That is one heck of a project!

As far as my own car goes...I'll find one at some point. I was only chasing this '63 because it was affordable, it has been a local car it's whole life, and it is an original automatic car so the wife can drive it.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Mike: Nice t'meetcha. If there's any doubt as to the title and/or the VIN tag - I beleive if you take the cowl cover off (behind the hood under the wiper arms) there SHOULD be a partial VIN stamped in the metal somewhere under there.. (correct me if I'm wrong guys).

Could be that it was once 'whacked' near the door and the VIN tag had to be re-applied.. at least I'm hoping it's something like that.

And like 68Imp said: ~ if nothing else you can freshen it up and make it road-worthy and drive it around for the summer before you start investing some BIG bucks in the restoration. WNJ Interiors in Hatboro does GREAT top work - and he's not outrageous in cost. I've used him for years, since he was a kid doing it from his garage as a teenager. He (Bill) is a good guy - and could find you a top replacement cheap & quick.

I too brought my '63 'back from the dead' after it was sitting for years .. after fluids; brakes; tires & a battery - it was road-worthy again. (see my blog on here).

Good luck! I'll look for you around the shows this summer! ~ Mitch.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, I am giving up on the car for now. Ever since I went out and cleared the snow from the car, put air in the tires, and made it look presentable....she has not called me back and she won't answer the door when I show up. Oh well. So much for my efforts I bet this car shows up on eBay soon.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 AM

I would'nt give up yet, I have learned the meaning of "diamond in the rough" early.
With these older car's. Keep them rough but see the possibilities ; buy them; then polish them up. I too lost some cars by making them "presentable" then the owners back out.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 AM

If you don't buy it let me know where I can buy it.
I have the same car now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	59567724.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1638
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	940af795-1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1639  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I isn't a matter of me not buying the car....I offered the $5,000 asking price and left a deposit, contingent on her finding the title, she isn't calling me back at this point. I don't know what is going on.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM

You might need to help here locate the title. Copy vin # and go to the DMV and see if you can locate the title for here.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I went to the local notary that I deal with. They need a death certificate for her late husband since his name was on the title. I got all the info needed, left her several messages, stopped by the house, etc. Getting nowhere. I'm guessing someone told her the car is worth a fortune. I'll keep pursuing it.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 PM

She's NUTS if she thinks she's going to get more than $5 grand for that car.. perhaps that's why it's been for sale for a year. Psh. People.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisalle View Post
She's NUTS if she thinks she's going to get more than $5 grand for that car.. perhaps that's why it's been for sale for a year. Psh. People.
It's been there since at least '97
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Well, keep up on it. I find it best not to pester people (obviously they're already delusional) - but the guy I bought my ratty '63 sedan from was insistant that his pile of crap that had been sitting in an alley for 3+ years was worth 2 grand or more.

I politely offered him $700 bucks - and said : when you're ready to sell it, call me.

After a year he finally did. Let's see how this plays out for you! (crossing fingers!)

'63 Impala Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page