Newbie in Dallas - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Newbie in Dallas

Just getting settled into this forum and brand new to it. You guys seem like a close knit group. Love the early 60's impalas. I am looking to get into one that is ready to roll. Know a little about the cars, but virtually nothing compared to you gurus. I live in Dallas and want to acquire a "ready to drive" 62 or 63 Impala. Any help is appreciated. Also, any gotchas involved in the purchasing that can be shared are also appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 AM

Welcome to the Team Marc!

Motors and transmissions are as simple as opening your check book. General Motors Performance Parts (GMPP) offers a brand new motor and transmission with a one year factory warranty (not an insurance policy like independant engine builders offer you, but a true new car warranty) supported by every authorized GM dealer. You can not buy new accesory brackets, but they are availabe as new reproduced parts or as used off another vehicle.

The only thing you can not get brand new is the car itself. So be careful to buy a car with as little rust as possible. In this regard no paint or old worn out paint is what you are looking for; as it will not be hiding forty pounds of bondo beneath shinny new paint.

A magnet is your freind when shopping for a an old car. A flexible refigerator magnet (those free advertising stickers) works best as they are flat and will not scratch that shinny paint. If the maggnet will not stick to the car, there is no metal there, and the paint is hiding plastic body fiiller. Keep in mind water runs down hill so wherever it gets to a place in the car were it can not go any lower it collects and forms an acidic paste as there is usually leaves and road grime collecting along with the water.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Welcome Mark

Just like you, I am fairly new also...I would like to say hello to Big Dave, He is very cool here with the Team. He was the first welcome that I received also...Hopefully, you will find the vehicle you're looking for Mark...there is a lot of wisdom about the Impala's and other classics here. Welcome to the Team! Secondly, since finding my 65 SS, I have found two others in Kerens, TX. at a somewhat old car graveyard...well, the guy is cutting the cars up and scrapping the metals. I removed some pretty good front and rear chrome that goes around the windshield and rear glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page