Prospective Owner - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Prospective Owner

Couldn't find a "What's It Worth' section so here is my intro/question

I have a chance to buy my Grandpa's old 1963 Impala 2DR Sport Coupe. It has a 283 with powerglide and was in running condition when parked and hasn't moved on the roadway for about 10 years or so.

I looked at it the other day just for a cursory glance. It looks like the rear quarters are shot, along with the trunk drop offs and perhaps the outer wheel wells. Also the lower portion of both front fenders are toast and at least the door skins would need replacement. I would imagine any areas that contain the typical Impala rust, this one will have it.

I couldn't get a great look underneath but the trunk floor did look solid. The interior is in fantastic shape also and has new tires.

I know pics speak volumes on here and will try to get some at some point. I am in talks with my cousin to purchase it. Trying to decide a fair value on the car. The good thing is, he wants to keep it in the family and I seem to be the only one interested. The car has 106K miles on it and my cousin is the third owner. I know the car is perhaps worth a lot more to myself than to anyone else since my Grandpa used to drive me all over town to football/basketball practice and anything else but I don't want to sink myself too far into it. Everything is complete and all the glass is great as well as all the trim.

Just looking for thoughts from you guys - thank in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM

I don't know how real the prices are on NADA for classic cars, but they say a "low retail" is $7,325. However that is a car in much better shape than you describe.
Quote:
Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".
This is more of a parts car, with more rust than you have, but it sold for $1,657
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-Chevy-Impala-Super-Sport-Project-Extra-Parts-/230607641288?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35b1495ac8

This is a 4 door, that runs a bit and looks ok in the suspiciously dark and distant photos, but it sold for $2,462
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-Chevrolet-Impala-4dr-Sedan-/170625408501?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27ba111df5 #v4-36

With all the rust you mention, it is in need of major body work, probably to the tune of $10-15K if you want it done right and looking near show quality.

If the engine has been sitting for 10 years without starting, I would suggest removing the spark plugs and putting some oil in each cylinder, let it soak in, then see if you can turn the crank by hand. If it turns ok, put the plugs back in and give it a shot at starting. I would also drain and remove the gas tank, odds are it has bad gas and probably some rust. When you start trying to pump that rusty gas, all the fuel filters, if any, will clog up. Even if it starts, don't expect the engine to be good to go driving anywhere with reliabilty. Stuff that sits around that long usually needs lots of things fixed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Check also for leaks around windshield and other windows. My car looks nice from the outside but it leaks a bit behind the chrome trim. That could affect the floors also. Once you start her, check for other leaks (oil, transmission fluid, etc). Sentimental value is one thing but you do not want to end up with the car that needs body work plus other things like engine or transmission rebuild.

We do not want to discourage you but you need to be realistic and compare the work required with the money you have and/or willing to spend on the car. Like David said, body work is usually the most expensive part of the restoration.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM

offer $500.00 and drive it for awhile, then you can make a decision
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Do you have an extra garage, complete set of tools, a fat checkbook, time to spend hours of labor, welder, and probably lots of other stuff I forgot ? If so, go for it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you have an extra garage, complete set of tools, a fat checkbook, time to spend hours of labor, welder, and probably lots of other stuff I forgot ? If so, go for it.
Well, I do have a place to store it for now. I'm good on most tools since I am currently restoring my 69 Camaro. The fat checkbook thing has never been a problem of mine but could hopefully piecemeal some parts together as money permits so that by the time I finish with the Camaro, I can jump into the Impala.

I also forgot to mention that my brother currently owns my Grandpa's 62 Impala, also in need of some TLC. So perhaps we could convert the ole pole barn into the Impala Restoration Garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page